House Ceiling Lights like living in a Coal Mine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
In Our through lounge we had two 3 bulb light fittings taking standard 40w bulbs, after trying various low energy bulbs, then leds. Pretty Gloomy, as the fittings were pretty old we decided to buy some modern chrome light units. I fitted them yesterday and they came with G9 40w bulbs. (They get very hot)
Nice looking lights but not bright enough, bought some led g9 bulbs rated 8w still not bright enough.
Any suggestions?

I can answer this one: Halogen bulbs. I bought them at B&Q, £5 for a set of three. They have a clear glass envelope shaped like an incandescent bulb. Instant turn-on, more efficient than incandescent (by a tiny bit) and BRIGHT

Diall Bayonet Cap (B22) 120W Halogen Classic Light Bulb, Pack of 3 | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Do yourself a favour - bin all those horrible CFL lamps and brighten up your life!

Nick Froome

I have Osram LED units in my kitchen, all are brighter than the sun. yellow light, not the blue/white. you get what you pay for with LEDs.

I can answer this one: Halogen bulbs. I bought them at B&Q, £5 for a set of three. They have a clear glass envelope shaped like an incandescent bulb. Instant turn-on, more efficient than incandescent (by a tiny bit) and BRIGHT

Diall Bayonet Cap (B22) 120W Halogen Classic Light Bulb, Pack of 3 | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Do yourself a favour - bin all those horrible CFL lamps and brighten up your life!

Nick Froome
My new light fittings take g9 bulbs

I have Osram LED units in my kitchen, all are brighter than the sun. yellow light, not the blue/white. you get what you pay for with LEDs.

I agree. I have a cheap Homebase LED and it has a distinctive yellow glow. The downlighters in the kitchen are a stark white, but that suits the kitchen perfectly.

Some were expensive and some were cheap. The expensive ones are worth it, and some of the cheap ones have started to fail.

Look at how the joists above the ceiling run to see if it would be easy to add additional points - I did this in our kitchen as the joists run from door to sink, so I could add additional light fittings easily. Unfortunately the joists in the dining room run the wrong way so I can't do the same!

gu10 3w on special price in ikea for £1.95 for pack of 2 even cheaper than poundland??

Does anybody use ceiling lights to light a room other than at bed time when you go round turning off table and standard lamps?

I bought those Dial halogen bulbs at B&Q,for a new light fitting in the dining room,SWMBO gave me a ear full as I was handing the bulb unaware that these lights have a normal shaped bulb but inside that is the halogen bulb I paid £5 for 3 but had to but two lots as the light fitting needed 5 bulbs,the light is bright good product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom