house extension pricing help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Hi guys advice required. Excuse the "third person-type scenario", IYKWIM ;)
Picture the scene:-
15 months ago highly recommended contractor gives quote for 115m2 extension, adding 4 bathrooms, quite a lot of steelwork as existing house is somewhat unusual construction. Comes out around £1050+vat/m2
ffwd a year, client reapplies for pp as just missed deadline for amendments - amendments are solely extra sq metreage on the single storey bit, very straightforward to do. Client hassles contractor over tardy quote but some internal works commence. PP gained for the extra 19m2 and the one less bathroom. Contractor has previously mentioned that an overcalculation had taken place on a section on original quote (therefore there should be a reduction off original figure before re-pricing surely?) Several extras come in on the quote at around £12k+vat, groundworks have commenced then revised quote comes in - add on area + extras take new quote to circa £1250/m2+vat and client is already in at £25k. Client not happy at all as contractor written that extra metreage costs + materials cost increase totals around £11k.
Contractor continually claims that he just works off quantity surveyor's figures, which are all correct yet there is a massive black hole.
Contractor has reputation for sticking to his price no matter what for many years, recent jobs done seen by client a lot more complex than clients own job.
Client of the opinion that works need to halt now till resolved but this will probably **** off contractor which will lead to problems later.
Is there a way to have his quote checked by a q/s or the likes to see what's going on? For reference, original quote was very, very competitive, but see above about reputation!

Cheers chaps.

The problem lies with the fact the client changed the goal posts [ possibly for good reason] However this changing of original contract specification always has the potential to cause problems. It could be the the contractor under quoted the job [possibly to win the contract but possibly also because he was unaware of unforeseen costs now apparent since the job has started] and has taken the opportunity to submit a more realistic quote. The contractor could be pulling a fast one but if he has a good reputation then its more likely to be the latter.

What is your relationship to the Client?

I have read your post several times and I must admit that I cannot really work out what is going on without having to do several calculations...even then it is not clear..

Adding 4 bathrooms - curious extension. I am a QS [on the contractor side] for my trouble but am confused by the post. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Sean

If original quote was based on QS quantities, then not unreasonable to have priced BOQ submitted to QS for checking.
This can throw light on errors at an early stage as QS can spot underpriced items and inform client & contractor accordingly, giving both sides the option to proceed/withdraw.

For the record, £1050 +VAT/sq.m seems too cheap to me for a complex extension including steel & 4 bathrooms.

If original quote was based on QS quantities, then not unreasonable to have priced BOQ submitted to QS for checking.
This can throw light on errors at an early stage as QS can spot underpriced items and inform client & contractor accordingly, giving both sides the option to proceed/withdraw.

For the record, £1050 +VAT/sq.m seems too cheap to me for a complex extension including steel & 4 bathrooms.

i had stuff done usually that price for bare finish and does not include fittings and tiles on the bathrooms as contractor let you order and pay for them.

i would say +/- is in the ball park, if u need second opnion i have a good builder friend who can come and check quote, and give the finishing if the contract is to be broken and the present builder leaves.

pm if u need help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom