House name envy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in the same boat as you Mocas, I've got numbers 46 and 72 wanting my house number; the bidding has reached eight figures already (four ninja turtles, Splinter and three different He-Man to be precise)

You've missed the boat, I brought the name "Doncaster" for £20 last week.

What are you guys going to call your town now?

But it could be yours.

Let me get this straight, some fool has offered you a *fortune* for the name of your house, and you've told him where to go???

Precisely. The name belongs to the house it was originally assigned to, and it will be handed on intact if I have anything to do with it. There's a principle at stake here, and I have no intention of pandering to the vanity of someone who thinks everything has its price.

Crassmans folly sounds like it may suite.

Indeed. He's got just enough taste to appreciate that a definitive name like ***** House would be more appropriate than ***** Towers or the suchlike. But clearly not enough taste to realise that you don't just buy the right to claim such a name when it's already taken. :rolleyes:

I had a similar scenario once if a company name. It was a family old trading name. In the end I took the cash and put it I'm a trust for my future children. I always think my ancestors would have applauded my move.

Maybe something similar might be an option. 7 figs is a lot and with the cost of education rising this might make your future generations paths through life easier than otherwise expected. Quite noble, I feel.

Well, all I can say is that house (and it's name therefor) must have some serious sentimental value to you. If someone offered me that much for the name, I'd be snapping his hand off, and changing mine to Old Baker House or something! ;)

Last edited:
I had a similar scenario once if a company name. It was a family old trading name. In the end I took the cash and put it I'm a trust for my future children. I always think my ancestors would have applauded my move.

Maybe something similar might be an option. 7 figs is a lot and with the cost of education rising this might make your future generations paths through life easier than otherwise expected. Quite noble, I feel.

A thoughtful view of the situation.

If I were in need of the money I may well take a different view, and the thought of taking it simply to prevent him from blowing it on some other extravagance has momentarily crossed my mind, but the whole idea of separating the house from its name just seems wrong to me, and having someone dangle vast quantities of five-pound notes in front of me doesn't make it any less wrong.

Precisely. The name belongs to the house it was originally assigned to, and it will be handed on intact if I have anything to do with it. There's a principle at stake here, and I have no intention of pandering to the vanity of someone who thinks everything has its price.

I'm astounded.

You must surely be the only person on this forum who won't sell a house name for in excess of £1 million quid. And it's not even your main residence !!

You've blown any chance of sympathy next time your SLK needs a few quid's worth of repairs but hats off to you. You obviously live in a different galaxy to the rest of us !!

Mocas is obviously a man of principle, and hats off to him, the sooner society wakes up to the fact that life is not all about money the happier it will be.

A thoughtful view of the situation.

If I were in need of the money I may well take a different view, and the thought of taking it simply to prevent him from blowing it on some other extravagance has momentarily crossed my mind, but the whole idea of separating the house from its name just seems wrong to me, and having someone dangle vast quantities of five-pound notes in front of me doesn't make it any less wrong.

I didn't need it either but I can understand your position. I often feel selling it was a shame but then I think it will easily put 2 kids through school and uni without hardship and I am satisfied.

Now I just need to have them:D

Why not sell him the complete house at a vastly inflated price?

That way you get the cash and a clear conscience when the name gets moved.

I'm astounded.

You must surely be the only person on this forum who won't sell a house name for in excess of £1 million quid. And it's not even your main residence !!

You've blown any chance of sympathy next time your SLK needs a few quid's worth of repairs but hats off to you. You obviously live in a different galaxy to the rest of us !!

If it's any consolation, I didn't pay a penny for the house (and no, I'm not a squatter).

I'm astounded.

If he's that minted how come he's just got a lowly SLK?

Hardly an old money car, the Bristol driving neighbours (the few of his neighbours poor enough not to have drivers that is) must look down their noses at the cheepo German (spit!) car...

Considerably Richer Than You - Harry Enfield and Chums - BBC - YouTube

or?

Time Nice-But-Dim interview - Harry Enfield and Chums - BBC - YouTube

Mocas

Keep the name.

Balmoral wouldn't be the same without it's name .... ;)

If he's that minted how come he's just got a lowly SLK?

Ever thought that it's simply a nice small town car to enjoy poodling around the City yet discrete enough to park on-street without drawing unto wards attentions ?

Why not sell him the complete house at a vastly inflated price?

That way you get the cash and a clear conscience when the name gets moved.

Without going into too much detail, the house has a strong family connection which I will do everything I can to maintain. One thing's for sure - if I sold it to this chap so that he could do with it what he liked, my conscience would be anything but clear.

The irony is that as more houses in the road succumb to the modern trend of razing in rebuilding, the character of the road is changing for the worse. If it's allowed to continue, then the day may come when the pragmatic case for preserving the house (along with its name) is lost. But hopefully that day is a long way off. The longer-standing residents are starting to wake up to what's happening and are lobbying the council to be less amenable with planning permission for such schemes. A similar campaign near where my brother lives was successful in halting a nasty spate of houses being replaced by blocks of flats, so hopefully we will enjoy similar success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom