House name envy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ever thought that it's simply a nice small town car to enjoy poodling around the City yet discrete enough to park on-street without drawing unto wards attentions ?

Anything better and people will be trying to buy it for millions I suppose...

If it's any consolation, I didn't pay a penny for the house (and no, I'm not a squatter).

Did it come with the grouse moor in the Highlands and that island of yours in the Bahamas ??

A similar campaign near where my brother lives was successful in halting a nasty spate of houses being replaced by blocks of flats, so hopefully we will enjoy similar success.

Perhaps the council could employ wardens to fend of the sort of oiks and plebs who in inhabit such flats?

Only a crack dealer has that many five pound notes.

I was speaking figuratively, of course, but that's exactly what these offers feel like - as though he is scraping together ever greater amounts of grubby fivers to bolster his claim. It's a madcap approach to the acquisition of a commodity (as he clearly sees it), and one that I wish to have any part in.

I was speaking figuratively, of course, but that's exactly what these offers feel like - as though he is scraping together ever greater amounts of grubby fivers to bolster his claim.

That's the grotty nouveau riche for you, innit.

Surely he can call his house what he wants, regardless of what yours is called?

He can put a sign on his house and call it anything he wants to, but if it's not registered on the title deeds with the land registry it will mean nothing. And will always be known by the original no, or name by the authority's

If he's that minted how come he's just got a lowly SLK?

Hardly an old money car, the Bristol driving neighbours (the few of his neighbours poor enough not to have drivers that is) must look down their noses at the cheepo German (spit!) car...

An interesting assessment.

I'm not aware that any of my neighbours have Bristols, and I'm pretty sure they don't employ drivers. It's your average home counties road with a wide range of makes. The more established households are more likely to have an ageing Vauxhall/Citroen/Volvo estate than some shiny new luxobarge (although a few of those have crept in).

I was surprised to hear when speaking to the Land Registry that numbers are becoming more popular. Apparently more mail is misdelivered if the house is un-numbered and online ordering software is less likely to recognise postcode address tuples if house names are used. I added a 3 to our address.

Mocas could continue to use "Baker House" and let the other guy use "Baker lodge"...

... or perhaps "Gardeners Cottage"...

...or Cottager's Garden?

Perhaps the council could employ wardens to fend of the sort of oiks and plebs who in inhabit such flats?

It's not about the people as such, I'm sure many of them are perfectly respectable. It's about the way it changes the character of a well-established road.

Where once you had neighbours who knew each other and had a sense of belonging in the area, you instead find that blocks of flats become enclaves, with the residents retreating behind their electronic gates, only emerging when they need to go to work, or shopping, or out for the evening. Previously well-kept front gardens are turned into "allocated parking spaces", while rear gardens are either sold off for further development or all but disappear in the quest for the maximum possible square footage.

Original residents that stay put find themselves alienated and isolated as the road becomes increasingly soulless, and most eventually feel forced to sell up themselves and move to somewhere that still has the kind of environment they once enjoyed.

I never used to have house name envy but I think I can feel it coming on.

Lets see a piccie, or a streetview link - me like house looking.

I won't post an image of his house (or mine), but to give you some idea of the scale, I spotted similar development in Beaconsfield last week, although in that case the new build was a block of flats rather than a single property:

srb.jpg

^^
How do you know that it's a "monstrosity" - it's not even finished ?

And whilst it may be far bigger than its neighbours it will ultimately provide a home for far more people too (I'm assuming that it will be an appartment block).

Last edited:
Those are not normal size.
The average UK house price is £160k.
I would hazard the one with the corner turret is more.

Just saying.

I am poking fun. Just so you know.
I also have a larger than average home.36
(Though the name isn't quite so desirable)

Last edited:
^^
How do you know that it's a "monstrosity" - it's not even finished ?

And whilst it may be far bigger than its neighbours it will ultimately provide a home for far more people too.

The development is somewhat further advanced now than it was in this online shot, but in any case I was merely using this image to illustrate the juxtaposition of a large new building with neighbouring houses on a more human scale, though I had the house I referred to previously in mind when choosing the term monstrosity.

I don't dispute that more people will occupy a block of flats, but my point is about how well a building suits its enviornment. These new builds are often built to fill the full width of their plots, and tend to present an uncompromising facade that would sit far better within larger grounds, regardless of the specific design/appearance.

Those are not normal size.
The average UK house price is £160k.
I would hazard the one with the corner turret is more.

Just saying.

Point taken, finisterre, but I said normal, not average. They represent the norm for the road in which they stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom