House name envy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You could rent him out the house, and he could use it to forward his mail onto his new build. Charge him a fortune for the privilege... (Assuming you don't live in that house).

Win win!

This is getting quite bizarre now. :)

He's not looking for a forwarding address, nor is he interested in my house. What he's after is the prestige (as he sees it) of having a definitive name for his own house. But, as Mr Jagger once said - you can't always get what you want.

Well, you see you get around that problem by digging an underground tunnel from your driveway to his, that way he would have two addresses, but could just tell everyone the named address instead of the numbered one... ;)

(Theres always a way to make things even more bizarre, yet still make some sort of sense!)

Given what is happening it might be worth registering a few relevant domain names for the house.

Last year the owner of Newcastle United changed the grounds name to that of his company's. The North East in general was in uproar however the ground is still referred to by all except the media as St James's Park thus proving that no amount of money can by tradition, history or memories do I can understand why you wish to retain the house name

Yes but what about when a Marathon became a Snickers ?

Last year the owner of Newcastle United changed the grounds name to that of his company's. The North East in general was in uproar however the ground is still referred to by all except the media as St James's Park thus proving that no amount of money can by tradition, history or memories do I can understand why you wish to retain the house name

I think you've grasped the essence of my take on this.

I haven't read all this MOCAS, but would it be possible and/or would you consider leasing the name out to him for a while; that way you get to keep the rights to it and can decide to return it to it's correct place as you wish at a suitable time........??

I'm not familiar with the author, markjay, but I'm struggling to see a parallel (as I am with the "stabbing" victim). :confused:

From memory... and I read it some years ago... it is about a farmer standing trail for killing his brother who wanted to split-up the field that they inherited from their father and sell- off his half.

Karel Čapek, to my mind, was a gifted observer of human nature. The story is about someone believing strongly that certain things should simply be in a certain way - in this case the two fields were meant to be worked together as one unit, and it would be plain wrong to split them up and sell them for a pound of flesh.

(of course the story takes this to extreme as he end-up with killing his own brother).

I haven't read all this MOCAS, but would it be possible and/or would you consider leasing the name out to him for a while; that way you get to keep the rights to it and can decide to return it to it's correct place as you wish at a suitable time........??

It's not something that had occurred to me, but having given it a moment's consideration, I can't really see it satisfying either party.

My understanding is that he belives his house is deserving of the name, by virtue of the fact that it outguns any other in the road by some margin, in terms of square footage and market value at least, though there are larger plots. On the other hand, I imagine he's not going to stay around for too long - we've seen others like him come and go in the space of five years or so, when they feel they're due an upgrade - so in that sense I could offer him a 5-year lease on the name and see what he said. However, even if that were possible, it would still mean renaming my own house during that period, and more to the point, giving in to something that I feel is fundamentally wrong in the first place. Not convinced.

Karel Čapek...

Having just Googled him, I should have realised that he wrote R.U.R., but that's about the extent of my knowledge of his work. :eek:

However, I can see your point in relation to a strongly help matter of principle, and would say that that represents a good analogy.

I am beginning to understand now MOCAS. Think of it as doing your duty to relieve him of the funds to put to use to try and stop any further unsuitable development in the area. A rally the troops fund if you like, financed by the attitude itself.......??

Stick to your principles Mocas. Why sell out your ancestors who probably worked their nuts off to buy the property in the first place. They may be immensely proud of themselves that the name of the house is now worth silly money but I bet they'll be even prouder knowing a relation is in a position both morally and financially to ignore such a bid

It's not something that had occurred to me, but having given it a moment's consideration, I can't really see it satisfying either party....

That what Rolls Royce do...

That what Rolls Royce do...

Good point, but that's a business arrangement with sound historical backing - not a cheeky attempt by a newcomer to buy himself some status. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom