House purchase advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It just seems to me that in this day and age, everyone wants to withhold payment or want a substantial discount or hold someone responsible for something or other.

Not in this case, surely. The guy is acting on professional expert advice as would most sensible potential buyers. What is the point of such a survey if you are going to ignore the findings?

I would expect fitting an extractor fan into an exterior wall below floor level to cost a lot less than £3000. Why not ask for a £1000 retention, it will almost certainly cover your costs with change.

If this is your dream house then don't be an idiot and dig your heels in over a small thing like this. OAP's are a tricky lot who can be very particular on silly issues.

I know nothing about radon fixes but if the test costs £50 and remedial work £1000, I would not let it get in the way of buying the dream house. If you don't buy, someone else will.

The only sensible reason to halt on this issue will be if your lender won't loan without it. I very much doubt that is the case.

If this is not your dream house and there are similar houses in your area then by all means dig your heels in and be prepared to walk away.

I think you are being perfectly reasonable. The problem is that I also think that the seller saying "That's the house, that's the potential radon problem, that's the price, take it or leave it" is also perfectly reasonable. I'm bound to say that the seller's view would probably be mine, ie "I haven't been worried about radoon while I've lived here, if you are, you fix it but at your expense, not mine". Don't be sentimental about houses, there are plenty more. If this worries you look elsewhere.

If you want the house simply buy it at an agreed price warts and all......cut out the complications. You have a desk top report which will have dubious accuracy as regards your specific target. The chances of a problem are remote and if there does prove to be an issue the cost of dealing with it must be negligible compared with the value of the property.
If the house was built within the last 20yrs.-30yrs. it will already have radon protection built in under Building Control regulations.
Life is far too short to deny yourself things that you want, and are within your reach, to let trivia get in the way.

Move on.....buy it.....enjoy your life.....good luck.

Mic

All I ask for now is an insurance policy, not even a discount, if as I hope the Radon report says all is OK.

On that note, is it risk that can be insured against by a cheap policy? Might be worth investigating..

We're talking about a relatively small amount of money here - £1k-£2k. It's not really worth all the hassle of retentions and agreements. If you're that phased by it reduce your offer price by £2,000 but be prepared to walk.

It's in the same category as the survey report saying the roof will need some attention and will cost £1k to £2k and, were I the vendor, I'd say exactly the same - it's a 'second hand' house, it has some faults/issues like any other and this is reflected in the price.

If you want the house then get on with it - if you're not that bothered and the possibility of £2k of remedial spending makes the difference between yes and no then walk.

Life's too short.

Why should the vendor pay for something you want? Surely you factor changes you want to make into the purchase price.

I appreciate that I am biased here, but if the issue was with the gas boiler and it was leaking CO I would expect the vendor to make it safe before contracts were exchanged. If that process were to take 3 months, then I'd still wish to proceed with the purchase as I know boilers are easily repaired, but just expect the vendor to cover any repair costs by means of a retainer.

I appreciate that I am biased here, but if the issue was with the gas boiler and it was leaking CO I would expect the vendor to make it safe before contracts were exchanged. If that process were to take 3 months, then I'd still wish to proceed with the purchase as I know boilers are easily repaired, but just expect the vendor to cover any repair costs by means of a retainer.

Why? If the gas boiler was leaking CO I'd wouldn't want it fixed. I want control over how and by whom it gets done. If I get it fixed then I have a contract with whoever repaired it and if there are any subsequent issues there are no uncertainties over how to proceed.

I want control over how and by whom it gets done. If I get it fixed then I have a contract with whoever repaired it and if there are any subsequent issues there are no uncertainties over how to proceed.

That's the benefit of a retention. I still move in to the property. I arrange for the test. I then have control if/when/who does any remedial works.

That's the benefit of a retention. I still move in to the property. I arrange for the test. I then have control if/when/who does any remedial works.

I still don't quite get your logic. You want the house you want to get some work done to it. Pay a price that reflects the work you want done to it. It is simple and clean.

Anything you purchase will always be a snapshot in time, you'll want to upgrade the insulation or change the colour of the front door. Getting the vendor to assume responsibility just adds another layer of complication.

My logic may be flawed :)

My original purchase offer was based upon certain assumptions. Now in light of a survey one of those assumptions has been put in to doubt.

If the vendor is willing to accept a lower price because of that I'd be happy too. The retention offer I felt was a better offer to them than simply a lower purchase price.

We'll see what any news brings....

Good news, a deal has been agreed. The vendor has agreed to reduce the purchase price.

For me it's a better deal than the retention offer, but they're happier with the price reduction and so am I. :)

Good to hear and best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom