How a 300 bhp Subaru just saved our lives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Hi Gang

Just had the scare of our lives, just returned from Doncaster after the usual madness of Christmas shopping and decided to go in the Scooby estate for loading room and in case of any car park dings this time of year. Coming back through a small village in a 30 mph limit I was in 2nd gear as I was showing the kids where the guy who owns DFS lives so was pootling along quite nicely, then to my suprise right in front of my eyes a 7.5t box lorry comes hurtling around the left hand bend at considerable speed, looses the back end and over it starts to come, only option is to try and accelarate hard through the gap between the side of the lorry as it comes round and the wall to my left, as it overturns it hit the deck behind us skated down the road on its side and wedged itself bewteen a stone wall and bus stop. If I had braked or been in one of our other cars I am convinced the lorry would have landed right on top of us and taken us out completely. Stopped the car in middle of road headlights and hazards on got the kids out who could not stop shaking and went to help the driver (although if he was not injured I felt like giving him a good kicking) as I got there he was climbing out of the passenger door mumbling I don't know what happened. Called the police who were actually there within a few minutes, when I was interviewed they asked me to estimate his speed which I thought was about 50 - 55 mph. They later told me the tacho was showing about 62mph (in a 30) !!!!!! I hope they throw away the keys.

So to all you doubters out there who say you can never accelarate your way to safety, then I beg to differ and believe me and my family are living proof that you can and that advanced driving skills and quick reactions have allowed us to see another Christmas.

May I wish each and everyone of you out there a Merry Christmas and a very Happy, Healthy and Properous New Year and most of all stay safe you never know what is around the corner :)

I was interviewed they asked me to estimate his speed which I thought was about 50 - 55 mph. They later told me the tacho was showing about 62mph (in a 30) !!!!!! I hope they throw away the keys.

So to all you doubters out there who say you can never accelarate your way to safety, then I beg to differ and believe me and my family are living proof that you can and that advanced driving skills and quick reactions have allowed us to see another Christmas.

Shame there wasn't a speed camera there to slow him down.......:rolleyes: ;) :devil:

Once nearly got squashed on the M62 by an eight legger and accellerated through the gap just in time..Good to hear you missed this one and are all Ok..:)

Happy Christmas..

Shame there wasn't a speed camera there to slow him down.......:rolleyes: ;) :devil:

20-4006559.jpg

;)

so nearly another tragic christmas death

just heard on the news a family of 5 went to disney land paris for christmas and to celebrate the twin boys birthday on boxing day and one of the twins drowned in the pool

how the hell do you ever get over that or even enjoy christmas again

and they say there is a god !

What I want to know is why do these things happen so close to Christmas? There seem to be so many tragedies and deaths every year in the run up to Christmas or is it just the fact it gets reported more? I don't know how you get over the unexpected death of a loved one or little one at anytime let alone Christmas time, every year must bring it back so hard, but my heart goes out to those who have lost people at this time of year it must be such a difficult time for them

i think its because when somone dies any other time its just a random time of the year but when its christmas and a time for fun with the family and presents and a generaly nice time you think "what if that happend to me" and then the whole thing becomes magnified

life is cruel, the tax man is crueler

The sad thing is that they don't only happen at Christmas. One of my partners friends fell into a pond round the corner from where we lived in his back garden. They always meant to fill it in, although it was not deep, but did not get round to it. The boy has suffered brain damage, and will never be the same again. It is a learning experience for sure.

Flania, it sound like tou have a via close escape. Glad the scooby pulled you out of trouble. Merry Christmas.

David

What if there had been a speed camera that nabbed the OP as he accelerated to save his family! I think a 300+BHP 4wd car is the ideal family transport myself.

Hi Gang

Just had the scare of our lives, just returned from Doncaster Coming back through a small village in a 30 mph limit I was in 2nd gear as I was showing the kids where the guy who owns DFS lives

Glad your're all ok, yes SPROTBROUGH has some very tight bends on that narrow lane, and some millionaire type houses.

Good piece of driving there dude, i've had a few close calls where if i hadn't reacted in time i would end up dead (and my passengers), and i know what a relief it feels to come out of it with a story to tell.

What if there had been a speed camera that nabbed the OP as he accelerated to save his family! I think a 300+BHP 4wd car is the ideal family transport myself.

Lets not pollute this thread, but he wouldn't have needed to, would he.
In addition it would have provided firm photographic evidence of the lorry toppling as well as speeding so would have been even more useful..;)

Scary. Having the reactions to speed up is impressive, too. Many would have panicked and slammed the brakes on.

just heard on the news a family of 5 went to disney land paris for christmas and to celebrate the twin boys birthday on boxing day and one of the twins drowned in the pool

how the hell do you ever get over that or even enjoy christmas again

and they say there is a god !

Terrible story but not sure that's definite proof of a lack of a higher being.

Glad you and your family are all OK .

Just goes to show that you always have to be ready for the unexpected ....

Reminds me of my one bad accident which happened about 30 years ago : I was approaching a right hand bend on a country road and over the top of the hedge could see the artic approaching from the other direction ; what I couldn't see was the idiot in the Crapi who was overtaking the artic around the blind bend ; I was doing 50 ish and was confronted on the bend with two vehicles coming towards me and nowhere to go - I braked off as much as I could and steered as far into the verge as I could but could not avoid the collision ( to this day I can still see the other driver having let go of the wheel crossing both arms in front of his face ) , the Capri took from the bonnet star of my W115 to the A pillar off and flipped up and over my car before flying over the hedge behind and landing 70 yds away in the field , ending up sort of banana shaped . I suppose my advanced driver training helped me slightly to not panic and retain some degree of control of the car , but I have to say it was 90% instinct .

Thanks to the Merc I was unhurt ( the engine was still running and I was able to open my door ) ; the other driver had to be cut out and had broken both legs , one arm and several ribs - of course he had no licence , no insurance , was drunk and had 'stolen' his father's car !

That's why I have had nothing but Mercedes ever since , and why I just bought the S Class following the recent birth of my son !

Merry Christmas everyone , and stay safe .

Last edited:
Hi Gang

Just had the scare of our lives, just returned from Doncaster Coming back through a small village in a 30 mph limit I was in 2nd gear as I was showing the kids where the guy who owns DFS lives

Glad your're all ok, yes SPROTBROUGH has some very tight bends on that narrow lane, and some millionaire type houses.

You probably know it well it happened going through High Melton, I was heading towards Barnsley, scary but thanks for the concern hope you and yours all have a good Christmas and New Year

My uncle is always sending his 19 & 18yr old sons to Don Palmer for lessons, you never know when you might need the expertise and reaction speeds to get you out of trouble as mensioned in post 1.

Glad you are here to tell us the story flanaia1. ;)

Good skills mate :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your Christmas a liitle bit more this year.

What Scooby is it.... sounds like an animal... Forester, Legacy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom