How a can of mushy peas saved my holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
On Friday we were off to the highlands for a long weekend away.

You can imagine my dismay when i discovered my rear exhaust backbox on the 124 estate split in half on Thursday night...

the bit going into the rear box rusted off and was in 2 parts.... plus the outlet of the rear box was also holed.

IMG_3493.jpg

What to do....?

I ended up doing this:

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

It survived the 350 mile trip tugging the twin-axle caravan... although I dont know how long it will last!

basically the can is holding the 2 parts together, clamped on with large jubliee clips and a couple of self tappers to prevent it sliding off.

Question is - if it is not leaking gasses (which it isnt), will it pass the MOT like this? I've used the metallic tape stuff to repair exhausts in the past but not to this degree.

cheers

Derek

Probably get an advisory.
Deterioration noted in exhaust system!

A fair old menu going there Derek - Mushy pea smell from under the car. Chips/Bratwurst out the back. Proper meals on wheels service.

Good fix tho, that is a lot of miles towing a van.

yes it CAN pass the test ;)

I would have used baked beans though... and only heinz.

ive driven diesels with no exhaust at all and i dont think you would have noticed should it have fallen off altogether!

yes it CAN pass the test ;)

I would have used baked beans though... and only heinz.

ive driven diesels with no exhaust at all and i dont think you would have noticed should it have fallen off altogether!

it was LOUD with it split! it broke in half about 2 years ago now too (in a different place!) and i got it welded up.

my reasoning for mushy peas was the diameter of the tin was a near perfect size for the diameter of the exhaust, so it slid over well :D Baked Beans was far too large!!

And because its Asda Smart Price i do expect it to rust away quicker, but maybe not as quickly as the front wings :devil:

A Dragon's Den moment. :D

Very ingenious. It feels good when a seemingly hopeless situation is mastered in such a way. :thumb:

Next question.. Doesn't you car run on veg oil?

A Dragon's Den moment. :D

Very ingenious. It feels good when a seemingly hopeless situation is mastered in such a way. :thumb:

Next question.. Doesn't you car run on veg oil?

Thanks. Yes, on 100% WVO. The whole trip with the caravan on tow cost me £0.

Very lucky too as i also encountered an immobiliser problem en-route. i stopped to fill up with Veg oil, and after i had, i went to start the car and nothing. Immobiliser had kicked in. I dont have (and never had the key). I was told that if you didnt set it it wont kick in.... thats wrong!!! Anyway, a quick phone to IBW revealed that the caravan electrics probably caused it, which makes sense and the system thought something iffy was up with the electric voltage etc so it kicked in. Anyway, a few goes at resetting it followed to no avail. I ended up calling out the AA. Local garage turned up (bear in mind we were in the wilde & lonley place of the highlands!) and the AA guy had to hotwire the key bit of the immobiliser to get the car started. He had to also tow my W124 and the caravan with his shogun up a steep incline off the main road to continue his work!!!

;)top job! well done!This reminds me of the time i repaired the exhaust on my mini using a rabbit hutch.
Time for a new exhaust though on yours! Dont feel too bad mine is also on its way out.I had a quick look saturday when it was on the ramp....:doh:

Last edited:
Top bodging :thumb:

as Jay said, top bodging - the exhaust should pass as long as it's not leaking or loose.

I don't think there is anything in the MoT that specifies what your exhaust is made up or how many components it is allowed to use :)

I have been quoted £350+vat for full stainless system fitted

I don't think there is anything in the MoT that specifies what your exhaust is made up or how many components it is allowed to use :)

Yes there is, as I found to my cost years ago, having spent two days making a beautiful all copper 4 into 1 for the kwack though, and another week blatting it to get the discolouration through and through....

I thought they checked for major leaks (not pinhole or slightly leaking joints) noise and whether or not it was structurally sound - the last bit might be the deal breaker but as long as it's not falling off and will withstand a little 'testing' you should get an advisory

why would a new exhaust be any different to a discoloured one at MoT time?

£350 is a good price - I think the back box alone is about that price from MB

£350 is a good price - I think the back box alone is about that price from MB

Indeed! My genuine rear MB box from MB Macclesfiled was £550 fitted. I ordered it and waited 2, months for delivery. Whilst awaiting delivery, I saw a brand new one at euromerc for £140.00! :doh:

No regulation as to what an exhaust is made of, where it comes out or if you use Heinz or Branston tins to repair it.. as long as its held securely,not too noisy and has no excessive leaks it will pass- car or bike. :D

Top bodge though SS! the neatest I've seen!

As a car and Motorcycle MOT tester, no-one told me... and VOSA certainly don't specify acceptable materials for an exhaust. I believe someone's pulling your leg?

that's old school bodging. remember doing the same with a bean tin once! excellent stuff!

Here is a link to the official MOT testers manual, which is used nationwide.

MOT testing manuals and guides

A car is class 4. Exhaust systems come under section 7. Go to section 7.1 and that is all the car is tested on, and the reasons for failure. Anything else isn't part of the test and doesn't come into consideration.The web page in front of you on there is EXACTLY the same as in an MOT station.

Motorcycles and mopeds are class 2 and 1. also section 7.

As a car and Motorcycle MOT tester, no-one told me... and VOSA certainly don't specify acceptable materials for an exhaust. I believe someone's pulling your leg?

Then they should have. (told you)

The relevant Construction and Use regulations cover such things as acceptable exhaust pipe materials, thicknesses, claddings, coatings, etc etc etc.

FYI (never occurred to me at the time) a copper exhaust pipe will produce *extremely* toxic byproducts, as in guaranteed fatal even in fairly small doses and concentrations.

When I was an apprentice we use to lag exhaust pipes with asbestos bandage FFS....

VOSA are just clerks administering God's works, C&U is God's works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom