How a Concours R107 SL is judged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc 420

Car
Mercedes 420 SL
This is my Concours 1986 420SL (now retired) I have taken a set of photographs to help anyone who wishes to restore their own SL back to factory condition and also to show what the judges look for at a concours event. Concours Pictures

Oh my, that is a real thing of beauty.

How much work and money was involved in getting her like that?

Do you still drive it much?

Fantastic work.

Absolutely stunning and pristine Merc. Never seen a car that clean. must have taken thousands of hours to keep it like that,and yes welcome to our forums. T.

Last edited:
That's beautiful, but surely better than original factory condition? E.g. I doubt M-B lined up the slots in the screws holding the rear number plate on ... or did they?

I assume many of the OE parts mentioned are no longer available so presumably cars like this are not used much (if at all). E.g. I know M-B can no longer supply hood windows for the R129, so presumably you can't get them for the 107 either.

My grandfather had a near-concours Jaguar XK150 S drop-head ... I remember him cleaning the wire wheels with a fine brush after each time the car was driven. He had a special cloth you had to use to avoid touching the door handles, and getting into the car involved sitting down with your legs outside then lifting your feet up and banging your shoes together (to dislodge any dust/dirt) before swivelling round. He had a pit put into his garage to facilitate cleaning the underside.

Welcome to the forum John. :thumb: ;)

Fantastic condition, almost looks like its a shame to drive it and get it dirty.

From your pics it seems that the car is in better condition than when it left the factory. Wonderful job :thumb:

Its an outstanding car and John has spent a long time in his garage getting it to this stage... The car has won numerous awards and deservedly so...

Wow. That's sweet.

Recently saw a 300SL, same colour but cream interior in the local Costco car park. Looked immaculate from outside. I really wanted to wait and chat with the owner but was in a rush :-(

Looks fantastic and very interesting to see how thorough they are. I think I have some work to do to keep our SL in concours condition.

Amazing, outstanding and thoroughly deserving of praise.:thumb:

Now, if you wouldn't mind popping round my house with your cleaning kit……………...:D

This is my Concours 1986 420SL (now retired) I have taken a set of photographs to help anyone who wishes to restore their own SL back to factory condition and also to show what the judges look for at a concours event. Concours Pictures

Couldn't resist coming over to the dark side could you John. By the way how are my labels coming on I will need them soon ie end of Feb. now get back to polishing your nuts. Maybe Claire will give you a hand.

I get confused about concours..
The idea appears to be: An older car that's never, ever been used.
Never been blasted down a B road in the rain putting a smile on your face..
And keeping it like that. For ever.

I appreciate the effort involved in making it look like that, i really do..
and i like making my car shiny and clean...

But I would rather be driving it!!!
and a single stone chip or a slightly wrinkled sun visor wouldn't ever ruin it....

Fantastic car,you take attention to detail to another level,exceptionally high standards
Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom