How accents and dialects change on the longest continuous train journey in Britain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well being a Gloucester lad I was prompted to post this un!
I am often asked what accent is that ?

Glou cs ter, Forest or Stroud mah dear!

Sounds like my brother on the phone or my nephew !
Tuercas Viejas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6mlmlQRp2g

We have about 20 different dialects in a 40 mile radius around Glasgow. However it's the people from Bathgate I find impossible to understand

Mrs. 203 finds these dialects the hardest to understand .

Mrs BTB (south German) got used to Glaswegian quite quickly thanks to a local friend. But Geordie completely defeats her!

I enjoyed that, although I did think the Cornish interviewed were very much at the more refined end of the spectrum.

I reckon the people speaking proper Cornish couldn't afford to go on the train. Or else they hadn't set off yet and were planning to do it dreckly.

It was also nice to hear the man from Yorkshire saying that they were still saying "thee" and "thou" in the playground. I find it irritating that American writers often claim that "thee" and "thou" are extinct. That may be true in America but let's hope they're still used in Yorkshire.

It was also nice to hear the man from Yorkshire saying that they were still saying "thee" and "thou" in the playground. I find it irritating that American writers often claim that "thee" and "thou" are extinct. That may be true in America but let's hope they're still used in Yorkshire.

'Appen the Yorkshire dialect is still used on road signs too.:D

1491725_939301422748804_8490708811591084698_n_zpsfr1bxk0s.jpg

'Appen the Yorkshire dialect is still used on road signs too.:D

1491725_939301422748804_8490708811591084698_n_zpsfr1bxk0s.jpg

Nice to see this one! It reminds me that I was also irritated by the BBC's Poldark, where Cornish yokels were heard to say 'Appen, as if they came from Yorkshire and "Aye" as if they came from the Northeast of England or from Scotland! I later discovered that the author of the Poldark books came from Manchester and the writer of the BBC script had spent a lot of time in Newcastle. Probably neither of them were aware of the non-Cornish phrases they were making their characters say.

Nice to see this one! It reminds me that I was also irritated by the BBC's Poldark, where Cornish yokels were heard to say 'Appen, as if they came from Yorkshire and "Aye" as if they came from the Northeast of England or from Scotland! I later discovered that the author of the Poldark books came from Manchester and the writer of the BBC script had spent a lot of time in Newcastle. Probably neither of them were aware of the non-Cornish phrases they were making their characters say.

Are you talking about the recent Poldark or the one in the 70s?

With all due respect to our members from north of the border, I do find a lot of Scottish accents almost impossible to understand. Whereas some, like the Big Yin, I have no problem with. My wife, being a UK import, struggles to understand all Scots.

I used to work with a guy from Northern Ireland who I had great difficulty following when face-to-face, but no problem on the phone. He soon cottoned on and regularly when trying to speak to me in my office would say: "Hang on there Tim", then walk round to another office to phone me!

I love accents, they give colour to both a language and the people who speak it. Imagine everybody would sound the same, scr3w that.

I find, however, that accents and dialects are more of a talking point in Britain than they are here in Germany. You just don't address 'em, even if your counterpart has a thick, say, Saxon accent (which is horrible by the way :D). Many people even try to hide their origin and attempt to speak proper "Hoch-Deutsch". No pride whatsoever and sounds crappy too!

Since watching Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels for the first time I've been very fond of (lower class? whatever that may mean) London accent. A pinch of Cockney's the icing on the cake. I wish Guy Ritchie would have put out more films like Lock Stock and Snatch. Can't get enough of that authentic talk and humour. :D

True geordie story from a working men's club in Jarrow, North East.
A disgruntled committee member takes the microphone and addresses the audience and delivers in a broad Geordie brogue:-

"There's been some serious allegations made in this club, and if the alligators wish to step outside I'll deal with them face to face"

Made me laugh.

My nam was a geordie. Came to London for work when she was about 14 and she never lost her accent. We used to give a lot of stick. All gentle of course.

My daughter speaks fluent Greek with with a northern Greek dialect. She finds it hard to understand Cypriots due to their dialect. Athenians do a double take when they here a blonde, English 11 year old speaking with her strange Greek dialect.

I find, however, that accents and dialects are more of a talking point in Britain than they are here in Germany. You just don't address 'em, even if your counterpart has a thick, say, Saxon accent (which is horrible by the way :D). Many people even try to hide their origin and attempt to speak proper "Hoch-Deutsch". No pride whatsoever and sounds crappy too!

I certainly had some problems with Schwäbisch (e.g. my wife's grand-parents)! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom