How can an E55k sound like this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TDE1

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB & BMW
I get the X-pipe bit in the description, but it says something + X-pipe. I can't translate.

Maybe not everyone's cup o' tea but if I could get mine sounding like that without breaking the bank, I'd be a very, very happy bunny :D

E55 AMG ??+X PIPE - YouTube

It sounds like it has got different back boxes but these can be pricey.

X pipe makes it louder and is not too expensive.

Depends what would break the bank for you Tim!

Agreed, John. '63s sound a bit raspier and higher pitched though, IYKWIM.

Wouldn't take a lot to break the bank, but I think this is whats missing for me.

I had no idea GT could do oriental languages! YLSNED

Working out what back boxes they are could be tricky but I don't think they are Eisenmann or Meisterschaft although I'm sure there will be others that sound similar.

Agreed, John. '63s sound a bit raspier and higher pitched though, IYKWIM.

Wouldn't take a lot to break the bank, but I think this is whats missing for me.

I do know what you mean - I'm sure they aren't 63 boxes.

I think it was £1500 or £2000 for a Meisterschaft system.

That's why I researched alternatives!

So not a simple cat delete plus x-pipe then.

Shame. I've listened to that clip all evening and short as it is, it ticks all of my auditory boxes.

So not a simple cat delete plus x-pipe then.

Shame. I've listened to that clip all evening and short as it is, it ticks all of my auditory boxes.

No - that would make it louder. I would investigate back box prices though before you dismiss!

I will be doing another video clip of mine soon to hear if the exhaust sounds any different since it has been sooted-up.

This is what mine sounded like after MSL / Torqueflow worked their magic with Kleemann headers, X pipe, CAT delete and standard back boxes:

[YOUTUBE]CGBI4ZDn9UE[/YOUTUBE]

John, I can't connect to links that say 'borked'. Sorry. Maybe it's my ipad. I seem to miss out on a lot of vids because of it :(

John, I can't connect to links that say 'borked'. Sorry. Maybe it's my ipad. I seem to miss out on a lot of vids because of it :(

If you go to Youtube in Safari, put in the following clip in the search field:

CGBI4ZDn9UE

This clip was posted earlier this evening and I have to say it's one of the best sounding 55k's I've heard. OK its a CLS, but shouldn't be too hard to get the back boxes (MSL maybe) and then have the resonator removed.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=9tVsjWx3ZZI[/YOUTUBE]

Embed code for iPads 9tVsjWx3ZZI

Last edited:
Got it, thanks. Sounds ace.

So I'm guessing that the manifolds also make a significant difference to the end sound then.

I'll have to get looking into prices - other commitments prohibit a big spend, and am not too fussed about increasing performance. Just stumbled across the vid and it got my pulse racing.

Sounds nearly as loud as my old TR7V8 that had just the two cherry bomb silencers and an x-pipe - yay to 1980's tech :D
I had a Spitfire with twin cherry bombs! Sad to say it was more exciting on the ears than my '55k. Pop and burble on the overrun - lovely - and the 'bombs only cost me about £30 :eek:

This clip was posted earlier this evening and I have to say it's one of the best sounding 55k's I've heard. OK its a CLS, but shouldn't be too hard to get the back boxes (MSL maybe) and then have the resonator removed.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=9tVsjWx3ZZI[/YOUTUBE]

Embed code for iPads 9tVsjWx3ZZI
That's nice :thumb:

Are you sure it's an E55 and not an E63?

Are wing mirrors interchangeable between the two?

I'm my experience that will be very drony at slow speed.

I have no drone at all, literally none

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom