How can I clean SLS fluid stains from tarmac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tobyd@callnetuk

Hi,

Hoping someone has a great idea how to clean stains of hydraulic fluid that has leaked from my estate onto the tarmac infront of my house.
Tried jetwash and few cleaners but little doing.
Has anyone a nice method?
Thanks
Toby

Any engine oil cleaner should work, but if the oil has been there a long time it will have soaked into the driveway surface material, but the Sun will eventually break it down.

Hi,

Hoping someone has a great idea how to clean stains of hydraulic fluid that has leaked from my estate onto the tarmac infront of my house.
Tried jetwash and few cleaners but little doing.
Has anyone a nice method?
Thanks
Toby

Thompsons do various cleaners for drives/patios etc available from Homebase, which deal with oil stains. If not GUNK.

Nooooo don't use gunk on tarmac !
Gunk is designed to dissolve oil ...... Tarmac - or asphalt - is bound together with a derivative of oil so Gunk will dissolve it and damage the surface.
How do I know ? Yes I made a hole in my tarmac drive when I Gunked an oil stain from a mates bike !
There is a product for getting oil out of tamac that I bought in a garden centre years ago. I will look for the bottle in the back of the shed later.

Having now read the thread properly I see the leak was hydraulic fluid !
The point about Gunk on tarmac stays the same though.

I have a similar problem with my drive way which is stained with power steering oil from my Mondeo, now sold!

I am using hot water and detergent and with the help of the sun, the stains will not be so obvious. I don't expect to get rid of the marks entirely.

When I first read the title, i thought you bought one of these:

2012+Mercedes-Benz+SLS+AMG+Roadster-02.jpg

And that it shot it's load all over your driveway!

Anyway, an inexpensive way is to get some washing machine powder (Persil / Bold / Daz etc) and scrub it well onto the affected area. Usually works with most such stains.

Suggest you get your butler to do it - don't use the forum to give the staff tips or hints, let them learn from their mistakes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom