How can I improve sound insulation on a polycarb conservatory roof ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Hi all,

Any ideas how I can reasonably easily further soundproof my conservatory polycarb roof ? I enjoy listening to the rain on it but I am concerned about the noise we emit from the conservatory with music. We don't play the music very loud but the neighbours mentioned they can hear it from their bedroom when their window is open. That's fair enough but they said they could hear our conversations ! My neighbour yesterday said "Oh when are you going to Bulgaria then ?" I asked how he knew that and he said he heard us say in in the conservatory. To say I am unhappy with this is an understatement ! I did read somewhere that I can by extra sheets of polycarb and fit it internally under the existing layer and try to get an air gap between. How easy is this or is there any other alternative ? Special material ? I don't really want to spend £1000s on glass really.

Any ideas ?

Gary

Play music louder when discussing holidays in Bulgaria ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

The only serious thought I can come up with is installing conservatory blinds, although they aren't specifically designed for acoustic purposes they should help.

Bubble Wrap or egg crate would help, but would be extremely unsightly. Maybe you could conceal these behind a ceiling blind ???

You could try temporary double glazing film... like cling film, it would fit to the roof bars with double sided tape, then shrinks to fit by using a hair dryer on it... but I can't imagine this having any acoustic effect.

If you are fitting another layer of triple wall polycarbonate, be aware that you need to allow for thermal expansion.

Maybe a layer of "Foamex" sheet (used by signmakers)?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Any ideas how I can reasonably easily further soundproof my conservatory polycarb roof ? I enjoy listening to the rain on it but I am concerned about the noise we emit from the conservatory with music. We don't play the music very loud but the neighbours mentioned they can hear it from their bedroom when their window is open. That's fair enough but they said they could hear our conversations ! My neighbour yesterday said "Oh when are you going to Bulgaria then ?" I asked how he knew that and he said he heard us say in in the conservatory. To say I am unhappy with this is an understatement ! I did read somewhere that I can by extra sheets of polycarb and fit it internally under the existing layer and try to get an air gap between. How easy is this or is there any other alternative ? Special material ? I don't really want to spend £1000s on glass really.

Any ideas ?

Gary

An unusual question, but a couple of things spring to mind.

It is single wall poly on the roof - if so you can get twin or triple walled - basically thicker if you like, with an airgap between each layer.
Gaps - sealing gaps (perhaps between where the pitch joins the upright, for example)

A picture showing the conservatory (lean to) and it's relationship to the neighbours would be helpful.

Alternatively, does the neighbour have a stethoscope and is he a nosey bugger?

Last edited:
A lot of sound will escape from the ventilation bars.

You can easily experiment by standing outside with music playing then close them and return to hear the difference.

You can dampen down the sound by stripping down the vents and putting some foam inside them. It will still allow some ventilation but will also offer some soundproofing.

Just keep an eye on moisture if you do this though ...

There is only one way to reduce sound travel through walls and windows and that is by extensive use of HEAVY curtains. The heavier the better.
Forget egg boxes filled with expanded foam. They have little effect.

There's a coating you can have applied which is clear and for want of a better word rubberised (although its a polymer coating) this deadens the sound of rain and hail making it considerably quieter and soundproofs it well also gives better UV protection and you canhave it tinted if you wish. Ours was done when the conservatory was built I'm sure Google will reveal all on what it is all I know is it's an acrylic polymer.

Mass is what stops noise, glass is the ideal solution.

It is a while since I speced a conservatory but last time I went with 6mm toughened + 6.4 laminated futureN or Kglass.

I imagine triple glazed must be better still but my budget was limited.

-----------
Ians rubberised stuff is new to me but sounds like a decent gamble.

Heavy curtains, carpet or thick pile rugs on the floor and sound absorbing panels on the walls would be what I'd be doing. Basically anything that will absorb sound.

Or you could ask Max how they managed it. ;)

COne-of-Silence-300x228.jpg

These people may be able to assist you. finisterre is correct. The greater the mass, the better the ability to kill unwanted resonance. I recall helping to stick pieces of sound-deadening material to the inside of a Land Rover body to kill a lot of the noise from the panels flexing and transmitting unwanted sounds.

Check out the solutions available at the link above. If you talk with someone knowledgeable, they ought to be able to point you in the right direction.

Difficult to know where to start until you have worked out the sound path that is causing the problem.

Can do some general things though that help deaden sound propagation but end result can be fugly

Acoustics at Studiospares

Don't underestimate the hassle with neighbours & noise issues. I've been there and have a big solicitors bill to prove it. Only consolation is the neighbour will have a similar bill!

If you plan on saying in your property, investigate how to insulate correctly, and advise neighbour accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom