How can i improve the fuel economy of my 57 Vito 111?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt Vito

Car
Mercedes Vito Compact Dualiner 111
I have had my Vito for about 3 months now and have noticed really poor fuel econony, worst than i expected. Is their anything i can do to improve it?

Do these magnectic fuel savers work?

Vito 639 - 57 2.2 111

Thanks

Matt

How does it compare to the book figures?

A remap might help as it's out of warranty now anyway. Check the insurance implications first though as many van insurers are not happy about modifications of any kind.

try "blowing" the engine through with Miller Oils Diesel additive.

Needs a long motorway run (40+miles) 1/4 tank + 1/2 bottle, high revs good speed.

When the crud starts to move it can sound like a shotgun and a load of nails in the exhaust accompanied by lots of smoke...... when I did the vito it almost blacked out the motorway .......... keep going, keep the revs up or you'll stall and it won't be easy to restart.

After another 20miles or more it will ease........... go home.

After you've run the fuel out, try it again..... same mix

When refilling put 10 "shots" to a tank and it will be worse to start with but will improve over a couple of tanks.

The Crap is carbon etc breaking loose and it allows air etc past the valves as it detaches.... slowly they reseat again and performance improves.

Millers at standard rate should then give an extra 10 - 15% mpg adding 3 to 6 ltrs sunflower oil as well can raise the mpg again and keep it smooth (sunflower is a good fuel and upper-cylinder lubricant, with it in low quantities and miller oils additive is in no way detrimental.

i cannot exactly say what the mpg is a present as i have only had it a couple of months! but i think it is well under the book at the moment. I know they are thirsty but i never thought it would be this bad, I hardly carry any weight in it either as i use it as a large MPV and surf bus. I have noticed that it idles at about 8000 rpm i though this may be a little high and i might get it tuned? am i right to say this is high? Sunflour oil? is that safe for the engine?

We have a brand new vito (10 plate) which has idled at 9 from day one.

What sort of MPG are you talking about? Long distance motorway, mixed roads or stop start? How heavy is your right foot?

Never going to be an economy vehicle because a lot of weight and bulk but yes the Millers diesel additive might help but be careful in terms of using veg. oil. Modest anounts OK but do not overdo it.

try "blowing" the engine through with Miller Oils Diesel additive.

Needs a long motorway run (40+miles) 1/4 tank + 1/2 bottle, high revs good speed.

When the crud starts to move it can sound like a shotgun and a load of nails in the exhaust accompanied by lots of smoke...... when I did the vito it almost blacked out the motorway .......... keep going, keep the revs up or you'll stall and it won't be easy to restart.

After another 20miles or more it will ease........... go home.

After you've run the fuel out, try it again..... same mix

When refilling put 10 "shots" to a tank and it will be worse to start with but will improve over a couple of tanks.

The Crap is carbon etc breaking loose and it allows air etc past the valves as it detaches.... slowly they reseat again and performance improves.

Millers at standard rate should then give an extra 10 - 15% mpg adding 3 to 6 ltrs sunflower oil as well can raise the mpg again and keep it smooth (sunflower is a good fuel and upper-cylinder lubricant, with it in low quantities and miller oils additive is in no way detrimental.

That is very interesting - has anyone else tried the above? I have just started to use Millers, just to help keep things nice and clean, no particular problem etc, but I am only using what the bottle recommends.

In my experience, certain Mercedes vans are very thirsty but in true Mercedes fashion, the 115 is better on fuel than the 109 for some reason? Maybe because the engine is less stressed?

Saying that, the 120 Vito is usually around the 23-28 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom