How can I tell if I have a DPF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Troon

MB Enthusiast
Car
A big one
Any ideas, without crawling under the car?

Phone up your local dealer with the VIN and ask them if it's got one; it should tell them on the data-card.

Look at your exhuast tailpipes. Completely clean - definitely DPF. Sooty - probably no DPF.

If you find you do have a DPF (unlikely) make sure you use the correct engine oil.

Hi Troon,
I did exactly what Sweetpea suggested on Monday last, rang my nearest dealer with my VIN number and asked the question.
They said that it did not and very few cars of the 05/06 era had them fitted.:thumb:

What does it matter if it does or doesn't what do they do?

is it better with it or without?

Dpf

Its pretty easy to tell just look at the exhaust outlet, I dont have one on my 2007 W204 220 CDi and after a decent journey its certainly noticable with black soot in abundance so if you have a DPF you wont see that.

Honest John motor website always says something against DPFs but as long as you dont poodle about all the time you should never experience a problem, you will certainly benefit from lower road tax Im sure as mine is £190 a year

The important bit though if you do determine you have a DPF is that you MUST use the correct oil, no DPF is a little more flexible with regard to engine oil

Last edited:
There are members on here who can send you the datacard based upon your VIN number, if you ask for it - it's useful/interesting to have regardless.

Some will direct you to the Russian VIN input site but I understand it can be incorrect in some cases.

Ask the question and I'm sure someine will provide.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. My datacard doesn't mention DPF, so it presumably doesn't have one as I suspected.

Diesel, or it definitely wouldn't have a Diesel Particulate Filter. :eek:

developer215 said:
There are members on here who can send you the datacard based upon your VIN number, if you ask for it - it's useful/interesting to have regardless.

Some will direct you to the Russian VIN input site but I understand it can be incorrect in some cases.

Ask the question and I'm sure someine will provide.

Who would you recommend to ask?

The DPF's came out on 57 plate vehicles... or/and it was an optional extra

You are looking for code 474 on the data card if it's got DPF.

DPF was first introduced on 2004/2005 c class the easiest way to tell is take of engine cover and you will have 2 rubber pipes and a sensor attached to the Rear of the air box

Who would you recommend to ask?

If you put it up as a thread someone will help out.

If you said it was for your leggy blonde sister there would be a queue ;).

Hi guys ina bit of a pikkle here i bought a 2008 c220 cdi sport without knowlage of deisels i was advised a deisel as they last forever but im not sure if it has a dpf or not the exuast is a bit sooty inside so does that mean it dosnt have one??? :) cheers guys

amilli1 said:
Hi guys ina bit of a pikkle here i bought a 2008 c220 cdi sport without knowlage of deisels i was advised a deisel as they last forever but im not sure if it has a dpf or not the exuast is a bit sooty inside so does that mean it dosnt have one??? :) cheers guys

It's highly likely you have one

Its pretty easy to tell just look at the exhaust outlet, I dont have one on my 2007 W204 220 CDi and after a decent journey its certainly noticable with black soot in abundance so if you have a DPF you wont see that.

Honest John motor website always says something against DPFs but as long as you dont poodle about all the time you should never experience a problem, you will certainly benefit from lower road tax Im sure as mine is £190 a year

The important bit though if you do determine you have a DPF is that you MUST use the correct oil, no DPF is a little more flexible with regard to engine oil

I don't think having a dpf affects road tax. Its based on CO2 emissions.

2008 diesels have to have one legally at the point of manufacture in the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom