How can I trace the production date of this engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
As title, I have an interested party in the engine I have for sale (actually three parties currently).

Two of them have asked if I can find out when the engine was built along with any more information available.

Here is an image of the production sticker currently attached to the rocker cover, I can get clearer photograph early next week if required but for the time being this is what I have.

Anyone shed any light on this?

I understand the engine numer is 117968 followed by the other numbers along the bottom of the sticke, I was wondering if the production date happened to be noted on there. (is it 11/19/96 in the bottom right in an American style notation?)

Edit:- I think that number in the bottom right reads 11/1996 - anyone confirm this? Meaning this engine was built in Nov 1996 and has remained unused ever since.

BICshBwWkKGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BJMgtJT.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure that this actually helps much, but I think the 111996 at the bottom right is just the man-readable version of the barcode, which seems to be a concatenation of the "Prod-NR" (111) and "UT" (996) values that are in the centre grouping at the top of the ID label.

Let me know your vin number and I will be able to tell u your engine number and producion date etc.

From what I can establish the engine looks like it was produced during the production life of the 126 models. The engines went onto knock sensors and higher power levels mid way through 88 at number 38000 or so. As the engine was brought in in late 85 I would guess at the number being aroud 89-90. Any members with cars of this era should be able to look up their numbers and confirm.

Looks like the full replacement engines were pulled straight off the main production line. Would be interested myself but I've already got too many projects on, unless you fancy a swap for a 5.5 kompressor engine!

Congratulations on finding such an item, must have took some serious work.

It's from a 560SEL isn't it?

The number 822 does not appear in the list of main numbers in the centre, suggesting it is a post 88 engine, so was probably built between mid 1988 to late 1992.

Option 822 signified the 220kw (300bhp) versions of the 5.6 M117. Later versions produced less power (275bhp) to comply with tighter emissions regs.

This engine will require the later post 88 wiring loom as there are differences : this engine will require the 8-pin ignition control module, early versions between 86-88 were 4 pin. As implied, the late ignition EZL and CIS-KE modules will be needed for correct functionality of the engine.

Have you tried MB parts to see what they can tell from the engine number ?

talbir

Option 822 signified the 220kw (300bhp) versions of the 5.6 M117.

The engine code 117968 shows as being 220kw with retrofit equipment and is also used for AMG applications, according to EPC.

HTH.

The first six digits of the engine code are not enough to ascertain anything on the m117.

The engine code will only show that variants existed, certainly not all 117968's are 300bhp. If this was a 300bhp engine, the code 822 would appear on the tag.

117.968s came in different compression ratios and camshaft spec, 10:1 and 9:1 and 8:1 etc. The codes on the tag must be recognised to ascertain the true spec of each block.

talbir

Always believed that the 822 code applied to the pre 88 engines that had a 9 to 1 compression and no knock sensors as standard. Code 822 motors had a 10 to 1 compression and different cams I believe, standard fitment for UK spec. cars as cats were'nt necessary back then.

Was it not the case that when the knock sensors were added in 88 that all UK and most Europe spec. 560's were upgraded to 300BHP as the standard 500 was uprated from 245 to about 272 at the same time?

Looking through the parts manuals the standard post 88 motor has the same components as the pre 88 822 motor.

Depending on exact spec it could be run on the earlier modules if the knock sensors and cam sensor in distributor are not connected.

The 822 Option code engines have a comletely different wiring loom set-up, no way it can run on incorrect loom. 4-pin EZL as opposed to 8-pin, thermo-time switch as opposed to 4-pole temp sensor, and crucially trim plug post the CIS_KE module up by the OVP relay. Post 88 cars never had this set-up.

I definitely agree all pre 88 UK 560s were 300bhp, but not convinced on the post 88, seems to be a grey area. I've also never seen any firm documentation to suggest that the 5.0l M117s were pushing out 275bhp. That would be some ask of a 2-valve, SOHC 5.0l, 9:1 compression engine, which in previous form was pushing out only 231bhp. AMG only managed to extract 276bhp out of it by executing serious head work and high-lift camshafts.

talbir

The first six digits of the engine code are not enough to ascertain anything on the m117.

The engine code will only show that variants existed, certainly not all 117968's are 300bhp. If this was a 300bhp engine, the code 822 would appear on the tag.

117.968s came in different compression ratios and camshaft spec, 10:1 and 9:1 and 8:1 etc. The codes on the tag must be recognised to ascertain the true spec of each block.

The list of codes for different applications are on this sheet. There may be a useful number somewhere.

Last edited:
In theory if engines numbers are sequential then it's earlier rather than later:

117968 12 097050 1991
117968 12 093293 1991
117968 12 087613 1990

117968 is also 178KW for the Australian market.

178kW is the US spec, all US 5.6 M117s were rated at 240bhp, i.e. 178kW and 9:1 compression.

Australian spec was typically 8:1 compression, lower power but ideal for forced induction !

talbir

117968 is also 178KW for the Australian market.

That's the 117.967, this is a 117.968 which makes it quite a tight band of options.

Edit.

I'll take that back, there is an Aussie version coded 14M.

Just decoded the build sheet:

120 - Test vehicle??
440 - cruise control
473 - low compression with catalyst
480 - self levelling suspension
580 - air conditioning

Sounds like a pretty strange combination but makes for an interesting engine, particularly the test vehicle reference!

Just decoded the build sheet:

120 - Test vehicle??
440 - cruise control
473 - low compression with catalyst
480 - self levelling suspension
580 - air conditioning

Sounds like a pretty strange combination but makes for an interesting engine, particularly the test vehicle reference!

low compression with catalyst confirms lower bhp output. But would be nice to calculate the compression ratio, to check whether it's 9 or 8:1... if it's 8:1 might be a perfect beast for forced induction !

talbir

See, completely lost in translation.......

It's sold now anyhow.

Reading this thread did get me thinking though........

Firstly if it was an Aussie destined engine, it would be RHD, this is a LHD unit.

If it were a restricted or low output USA engine it wouldn't have had the free flowing Euro headers.

I'm reasonably sure this is a 300hp Euro engine, mainly as it was destined for Belgium when it came out of the factory. I was just trying to age it. However, I could be corrected.

A chap in the States has bought it from me, I'm flying it over airfeight for a very reasonable £640 including all documents and expediting, buyer will just need to pay duty.

It's being fitted in a European sourced 560 SEL which is in almost new condition

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom