How can one keep no claims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deane x

Car
C350e S205 2016
Hi I have 9 years no claims (as it is the max ) on my old car but I have ordered my new car and insurance is inc in lease ,so how long can I keep my 9 years no claims

Buy another cheap car and insure it yourself.

You don't even need to actually buy a real car in order to buy insurance to keep your no claim bonus. When I sold my spare car, I simply didn't cancel my insurance and kept it going to preserve my NCB. I figure that this way i don't have to worry about the dreaded MOT, road fund licence, servicing and parking.

But then again the car I sold was really cheap to insure...

FYI: Your NCB is valid for 2 years without owning a car.

You don't even need to actually buy a real car in order to buy insurance to keep your no claim bonus. When I sold my spare car, I simply didn't cancel my insurance and kept it going to preserve my NCB. I figure that this way i don't have to worry about the dreaded MOT, road fund licence, servicing and parking.

But then again the car I sold was really cheap to insure...

Is that actually legal?

Tony.

Found this,bit ambiguous though;

No claims bonus expiry dates - how long do they last?
A no claims bonus does not usually have an expiry date. However, if you take a break from driving and don't do not have any insurance for several months, you may find it more difficult to use your existing no claims discounts when you need to renew.

While there is no set expiry date for your no claims, most insurers will only accept proof of your no claims discount if your previous policy expired less than 2 years ago.

Some insurers may only accept no claims for up to 12 months after your previous policy has ended, while others allow up to 3 years, so make sure to shop around to check if you can use your no claims if you've you have had a gap without cover.

Written by Martin at money.co.uk

Meanwhile someone could be driving your old car with no insurance.

If there is an accident, the insurance will be traced back to you and may be held liable.

Well as I don't want 3 cars I will just keep my no claims proof and if I need insurance I will phone my old insurance company for insurance

Is that actually legal?

Tony.

I am not aware that I broke any law for failing to cancel my insurance on a car I have owned. Perhaps someone can cite a law I broke?

Certainly when I rang the insurance company to get a quote on a new car I was looking to buy they didn't have any issue on this matter when I informed them that I failed to cancel the insurance when I sold the car. They certainly didn't offer to refund me any premiums for the period after I have sold the car!

Meanwhile someone could be driving your old car with no insurance.

If there is an accident, the insurance will be traced back to you and may be held liable.

Not considered this angel, but good luck trying to pin the liability on me.

As far as I am concerned, I have insurance for myself as a named driver on said car, surely the legal owner and/or driver would be liable for any damages they incurred while the car was under their ownership/control? In any case they are not a named driver on my insurance policy.

Last edited:
If the car is insured in your name and the new owner crashes into a Bentley for example and drives off without leaving details , but they get the reg number , who do you think will be picking up the big bill ?

If the car is insured in your name and the new owner crashes into a Bentley for example and drives off without leaving details , but they get the reg number , who do you think will be picking up the big bill ?

The registered owner of the car? That is what the DVLA will dish up.

The registered keeper doesn't mean they own the car.

You are correct, but that is what the DVLA/Police will dish up. See https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q743.htm

Isn't this the whole point of the "registered owner"? They may not be the legal owner, but they are the responsible keeper of the car and responsible for parking offences etc. This coupled with the bill of sale should I imagine proof transfer of both ownership and responsible keeper of the car.

You are correct, but that is what the DVLA/Police will dish up. See https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q743.htm

Isn't this the whole point of the "registered owner"? They may not be the legal owner, but they are the responsible keeper of the car and responsible for parking offences etc. This coupled with the bill of sale should I imagine proof transfer of both ownership and responsible keeper of the car.

Thanks for the link, 'fronting' is all to common place these days, I'm aware if your using a vehicle that isn't yours and your are insured, you are still responsible for any defect etc.

Surely its not worth insuring a car you don't use just to preserve any NCB. Do the maths! Most insurers will allow you to have a NCB based on company car use. Well Direct line did for me. You usually have 30% introductory bonus on a new policy anyway.

As mentioned most companies will honour a break of up to 2 years but best to check as some are less.

@Deane X

is it possible to use your own insurance on the lease car or is it too good a deal? maybe 2-3 months before the 2 years are up, take some insurance out? Saves paying it for the full 2 years :)

Surely its not worth insuring a car you don't use just to preserve any NCB. Do the maths! Most insurers will allow you to have a NCB based on company car use. Well Direct line did for me. You usually have 30% introductory bonus on a new policy anyway.

That would depend on the car, one's occupation and postcode since the discount offered to someone with 9 years NCB could be up to 70% by some insurance companies. The discount in real terms could be significant for some people.

Also to consider this before abandoning one's hard earned NCB; If relying on the NCB earned via a company car, one might not be able to keep a company car continuously for 9 years. This means that if the original poster were to give up their company car after 3 years, the insurance company will most likely give a goodwill NCB of three years.

Last edited:
That would depend on the car, one's occupation and postcode since the discount offered to someone with 9 years NCB could be up to 70% by some insurance companies. The discount in real terms could be significant for some people.

Also to consider this before abandoning one's hard earned NCB; If relying on the NCB earned via a company car, one might not be able to keep a company car continuously for 9 years. This means that if the original poster were to give up their company car after 3 years, the insurance company will most likely give a goodwill NCB of three years.

Im assuming a like for like car, not insuring a 10 year old corsa say and then buying a rolls Royce in 3 years time.
Why would you do without a car for several years and plan one in the future anyway? Prison? missionary service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom