How cheap can you do a full front brake replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pembssurf

Car
toyota
So I’m just about to get my S204 (AMG sports brakes) full front disc, pads and wear sensor replaced for the grand total of £149 plus a pack of beers.

Genuine Merc brakes from Mercedes of Edinburgh and fitted by a mate in work in his coffee break.

Mercedes wanted £469 for the same job to be done.

This brings me to the question what’s the cheapest you’ve had your front brakes replaced for?

£70 for a set of original GM front discs and pads for my Vauxhall Omega (with trade discount), fitted DIY... back in 2006.

So I’m just about to get my S204 (AMG sports brakes) full front disc, pads and wear sensor replaced for the grand total of £149 plus a pack of beers.

Genuine Merc brakes from Mercedes of Edinburgh and fitted by a mate in work in his coffee break.

Mercedes wanted £469 for the same job to be done.

This brings me to the question what’s the cheapest you’ve had your front brakes replaced for?

Hardly comparing eggs with eggs are we? It is fine and helpful to those who may wish to do these jobs themselves to give information about discounted parts prices etc but to then compare this to a garage cost let alone a main dealer is not a valid comparison.

Your friend has no overheads, no staff to pay, no business rates, training costs, stock costs etc etc etc.

Did he give you a comfy seat, coffee, water, WiFi, have a courtesy car available?

Clearly not, you choose what services you want and you pay accordingly.

Oh Jesus there’s always one who wakes up on the wrong side bed!

There is always one that tries to answer with sarcasm rather than facts.

Read the post carefully, I was fully supportive of your post in terms of outlining how much people could save via DIY or other means, I just do not see what point you are trying to make quoting a price from MB.

Some people have service plans, others have company cars or there are those to whom cost is not the issue and want, what they see as , the security of a main dealer provided service.

laughing-guide-1024x538.png

£70 for a set of original GM front discs and pads for my Vauxhall Omega (with trade discount), fitted DIY... back in 2006.
That was my last major DIY job..... :(

Age, and various ailments, mean that everything on the car is now done by professional mechanics at the going rates.

Hmmm...!!! Disc and pad change in his coffee break...:eek: What could possibly go wrong with that for £149.00 and a case of beer.

Hardly comparing eggs with eggs are we? It is fine and helpful to those who may wish to do these jobs themselves to give information about discounted parts prices etc but to then compare this to a garage cost let alone a main dealer is not a valid comparison.

Your friend has no overheads, no staff to pay, no business rates, training costs, stock costs etc etc etc.

Did he give you a comfy seat, coffee, water, WiFi, have a courtesy car available?

Clearly not, you choose what services you want and you pay accordingly.

Funnily enough there will be WiFi as it’s my office, there will also be coffee and a comfy seat... as it’s my office. There is also a fully kitted out garage with 4 poster lift. 15 minutes per side on a 4 poster. 25 per side if your using a trolley jack one side at a time.

Then again not all of us earn 6 figure salaries in the SE and especially not here in Wales that have got the disposable income to chuck money at main dealers or national outfits for fairly routine jobs anyway.

Funnily enough there will be WiFi as it’s my office, there will also be coffee and a comfy seat... as it’s my office. There is also a fully kitted out garage with 4 poster lift. 15 minutes per side on a 4 poster. 25 per side if your using a trolley jack one side at a time.

So hardly the set up most people can call on outside of a garage environment?

Glad you are in the fortunate position to have skilled persons to hand with the appropriate equipment.

15 minutes per side is a bit optimistic.

Then again not all of us earn 6 figure salaries in the SE and especially not here in Wales that have got the disposable income to chuck money at main dealers or national outfits for fairly routine jobs anyway.

So you assume people in the SE are likely to be on 6 figure salaries?

Your "logic" is getting a little off track now :)

Of course most people would want the lowest price consistent with a good quality outcome but the vast majority do not DIY nor do they have the set-up you enjoy so it is a main dealer, general garage or Independent that will get the vast majority of the work.

there will be WiFi as it’s my office, there will also be coffee and a comfy seat... as it’s my office. There is also a fully kitted out garage with 4 poster lift. 15 minutes per side on a 4 poster. 25 per side if your using a trolley jack one side at a time.

So, DSM 10000 was correct in saying
"Your friend has no overheads, no staff to pay, no business rates, training costs, stock costs etc etc etc."?

Last edited:
Do you know what mods please just delete this thread!

Last edited:
Oh Jesus you lot lighten the f up!

It was a simple thread about how the actual price of doing brakes correlated to what the main stealers charge.

Someone on here always has to comment immediately and put a thread down on arrival. Sigh :(

But there can be no correlation when not only are we not comparing like with like but you seem to have your own private workforce doing the labour for you at virtually zero cost. How many other people do you know have that facility to hand?

Once again neither I nor anyone else put your thread down, and, as pointed out twice, I was supportive of your bringing to the attention of other members the deal you got from the MB dealer who supplied you with the parts.

It was you that then went off on a tangent bringing up salary differentials in the different parts of the country etc as some justification for your rather flawed original comparison.

I am not sure if this adds to or detracts from your argument from your perspective but I am fortunate to have a six figure salary and I do choose to use garages to carry out work on our cars but I also carry out work on them myself when not urgent, not always to save money, mostly with small jobs to save time going to and from a garage which is precious but also, on the whole, because I ENJOY IT!

A 1 hour coffee break is also rather optimistic!

Obviously never worked for local government!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom