How clean should the engine oil be after a service ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maddog

On a diesel E320???

Just had mine changed by the dealer and it looks black still....very black , however yesterday i changed the oil on a Nissan Micra (petrol) for a friend and his car was very over due a service around 30,000 miles since it had last been done and the old stuff was very dirty but even without flushing the fresh oil is still honey coloured and a road test

I know diesels tend to get their oil blacker than petrols but surely it should stay clean for a few hundred miles ??

How can you tell they have changed it and not just wiped over the filter ??

>>surely it should stay clean for a few hundred miles ??

No, it can easily be black again as soon as you start it up. All the oil in the engine's oil galleries, and any in an oil cooler can't/won't have been changed.

Diesel engine oil will go black almost immediately due to some old oil residing in the oil cooler mixing with the fresh oil.
This problem is exacerbated if a proper diesel specific oil is used as that will hold more soot in suspension, whereas a petrol/general oil will allow some to fall out and settle on metal surfaces.

The only way to have clean oil is to drain, fill with flushing oil, drain, drain the oil cooler, then refil with oil.

Your dealers going to do that....Right..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It would probably have helped if the dealer had filled it up properly

This seems a bit low seeing they reckon they put 7 litres in there , and i'm dissapointed that it left the workshop like this, i'll be having words on Monday

12102008026.jpg

oil analysis

Hi there ,

If your looking for someone to carry out out oil analysis, I can recommend a very good company that I have been using for the last couple of years.
see link below

http://www.expertees.ltd.uk/contact.php

or telephone on 01792 641482

Ask to speak to Maurice Norman and mention mbclub and you will get excellent rate.

I have no connection or interest in the company but have found their service and value very good:)

Interesting - what sort of cost are we talking about for a single engine oil sample?

It would probably have helped if the dealer had filled it up properly

This seems a bit low seeing they reckon they put 7 litres in there , and i'm dissapointed that it left the workshop like this, i'll be having words on Monday

12102008026.jpg

Wow, a dipstick!
I haven't seen one of them since...........well since I bought a Mercedes actually!

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom