How common is steering lock failure on the W204?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonVitto

Car
Mercedes C180 CGI Sport
I've recently got my car back after a nightmare having the sub-frame replaced (took almost 3 months).

Now my attention has turned to the steering lock failure that can occur on the W204. Mine is a 2011 model (I think manufactured in 2010 but first registered in 2011).

I spoke to my local indie a while back and they said they have two prices for replacing the steering lock, one for replacement in the unlocked position and another for if it fails in the locked position. I seem to recall the cheaper of the two was £700 - £800 so still pretty expensive.

I am wondering if to bite the bullet and have it replaced as a precaution, or whether to wait until it fails, which could be in an inconvenient location and involve towing charges.

I also read the part that generally fails is a little £5 scalextric motor inside the locking mechanism. I wonder how easy and feasible it would be to simply replace this motor.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I also read the part that generally fails is a little £5 scalextric motor inside the locking mechanism. I wonder how easy and feasible it would be to simply replace this motor.
You will find it all on youtube....

i think changing things just because they might fail is an expensive way of car ownership if you look at all the potential problems with a car and changed everything just in case they went wrong you might as well by a new car yes it is a known problem but its only a common problem because people post about it all the forums and facebook groups are the same for every manufacturer they all post and comment about problems you never hear of the thousands of vehicles that are running around with no issues whatsoever mine is a 2012 c class with 71k miles i am the 2nd owner and have owned it for 2.5 years and have had nothing go wrong with it ( ive probably jinxed it now as we are off to cornwall in it next week) i would just enjoy the car and if things go wrong then just replace as necessary, the steering lock will give you a hint that its playing up as sometimes you wont hear the little motor sound when you put the key in.

I've recently got my car back after a nightmare having the sub-frame replaced (took almost 3 months).

Now my attention has turned to the steering lock failure that can occur on the W204. Mine is a 2011 model (I think manufactured in 2010 but first registered in 2011).

I spoke to my local indie a while back and they said they have two prices for replacing the steering lock, one for replacement in the unlocked position and another for if it fails in the locked position. I seem to recall the cheaper of the two was £700 - £800 so still pretty expensive.

I am wondering if to bite the bullet and have it replaced as a precaution, or whether to wait until it fails, which could be in an inconvenient location and involve towing charges.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Mine is a W204 2011, year. It had 95000 on clock when it failed. Mine failed in locked position in July 2021. 1/2 mile from my home, outside local shop!
You'll get it lock on a few times, I.e when you inset Key. It won't buzz or unlock, then if you remove key and re insert it may unlock. Mine did that 6 to 10 times before it failed completely, get it changed if that intermittent unlocking happens.
Worth noting if your last service was performed by MB, and isn't overdue, if car breaks down. Your car will eligible for mobilo, which gives you recovery to MB workshop, and free courtesy car for duration of repair. Bill from MB Europa Sheffield was £700. July 2021

I have had a strange thing, whereby I insert my key, the steering unlocks, but I don't start the car right away. I might fiddle with my sat nav, or wait for my wife outside a shop. Then when I turn the key, nothing happens. I have to remove the key and re-insert it to start the car. However, the odd thing is, the steering does unlock, lock and unlock again when doing this. Also, the issue only happens perhaps 1 in every 10 times. Because of this, I now only ever insert the key when I am ready to turn it. I am guessing this isn't an issue with the steering lock though, because as far as I know the wheel has never failed to unlock when inserting the key.

I have had a strange thing, whereby I insert my key, the steering unlocks, but I don't start the car right away. I might fiddle with my sat nav, or wait for my wife outside a shop. Then when I turn the key, nothing happens. I have to remove the key and re-insert it to start the car. However, the odd thing is, the steering does unlock, lock and unlock again when doing this. Also, the issue only happens perhaps 1 in every 10 times. Because of this, I now only ever insert the key when I am ready to turn it. I am guessing this isn't an issue with the steering lock though, because as far as I know the wheel has never failed to unlock when inserting the key.
That is often the sign of a failing EIS module, rather than the steering lock motor being faulty.

Don , plenty info on the internet. let us know how it goes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom