how detailed can STAR show a problem with airmatic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
i have a 'problem' with my airmatic. it works fine, doesnt sink etc but i get 'visit workshop' logo on the dash every start now. was very intermittent.

my cheap 280 quid box from gendan says its an issue with the compressor taking too long to get to pressure, and a leak in the reservoir.

my local garage with mate as mechanic, and 6k woth of snapon diagnostics, sayx the same thing, almost verbatim.

all pipes and joints have been sprayed with leak detector from the plumbers merchant. no leaks visible so far.

its been suggested it might be zn intermittent leak in an air strut. but at 500 odd quid a side im reluctant to guess at this.

my local merc dealer is an hours drive each way. how much more will star tell me? i do have another local with xentex? semi star thing. is that as good for this?

thanks

First port of call would be a compressor test on star.

It sounds like the pump,it gets I think 6 seconds to put air back into the tank,your pump is doing it sometimes so no light another time it will take longer and get the light coming up,the car will stay level,because the pump is working and you can run it like it,but it gets annoying,a new pump will cure it.

Thanks. can xentry do this test, or the snapon version? the local xentry bloke is too busy for about two weeks, the snapon bloke could do it in a few days..... its a snapon verus.

Last edited:
Not sure the Snap on will do it,i have seen it done and the test makes the tank vent air then starts the pump and also checks the time it takes ask the guy with the snap on if it has that capability,the test would need to be done at least 3 times to see if the pump is capable of beating the set time for filling the tank if it fails only once it could still be a leak .I think I read somewhere that the xentry can do this check but cannot find the link to it.

sadly the smart bloke only works one day a week, the rest of the time his brother (aka hammer monkey) is there......

im tempted to just order a pump, they seem to be 180 quid? is there any difference twixt the 220 and 211 part number versions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom