How did you end up driving an AMG.................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimGreen

Car
2012 Audi R8 V10 + 2017 Mini Cooper (John Cooper Works) + 2015 Honda Fireblade
Thought it might be interesting to hear how we ended up driving an AMG and our journey from more humble cars.

Here are some of my previous cars which I owned prior to moving over to the AMG Family. As you can see I've been a petrol head all my life and when I think of the price i sold some of these cars and what they're selling for now, I wish I still had some of them.

My Audi S4 which I loved, but cost me a mint due to a timing chain tensioner failing. Other than that it was mint and lots of sensible mods carried out, Remap, Miltek Exhaust System, Adjustable Suspension, BBS Wheels etc etc etc.

The culprit failed timing chain tensioner..........

Not the easiest of jobs to fix, as you have to remove the V8 as the timing chains are at the back of the engine on the S4 4.2ltr V8, so it's an engine out job.

My mid life Crisis......... Love my bikes too. Sold this to fund the C63.

Last edited:
Oh do I wish I still had my old Renault....... I sold this for £14k with 11k miles on the clock from new, now this would be snapped up and would be worth well over £30k. It was mint, I had her for two years, not as fast at they look, but a genuine future classic that will be worth double again in ten years time. Handle better than the press gave them credit for, but you had to know how to drive a mid engined car fast. I loved it, but it needed another 100bhp to make it as it should have been.

My M3 which I loved, but again it needed another 100bhp to make it what it should have been, great handling car which I enjoyed owning.

I kept it pretty clean too................... LOL.

One of the best cars I ever owned............ Loved it, it never let me down, sounded better than the C63 AMG and had a similar 0 - 100. I kept this car mint and still keep in contact with the guy who purchased it from me. I'd own one again without having to even think about it.

Ahhhhhh, back to V8's....... This was my first V8 Engined car, which I thoroughly enjoyed and drove into Europe in total confidence with, on more than one occasion. My old 2000 E39 M5.

And finally........................ What started off my petrolhead career, I owned her for 12 years, purchasing her when she was just 18 months old. I showed her at various car shows on numerous occasions, spent literally 10's of thousands on her and she had the best of everything, including a Norris Motorsport 420bhp Engine, Quaife Box, Quaife Diff, 330mm AP Brakes, Suspension Mods and LOADS more ancillaries to keep her reliable when using that power, something a lot of people forget. She now resides in Ireland and I'm still in contact with the owner. I'd hate to guess what she could be worth now as she still has less than 40k miles on the clock from new and is kept in a bubble.

Well I hope that's kept everyone entertained and brought back some good memories for others.

Out of all of the above, which one would I swap my current C63 AMG for ?? ............. NON.

Which car do I wish I'd kept ??........... The Cosworth.

Which car will now be worth the most ?? ............ The Renault

Which car will be the most collectable ??............. The Renault.

A great thread idea!

My own journey towards my E63 was a lot more mundane than yours. I share your love of fast Renaults and love the mad Clio V6. When I first started driving, I used my mum's Renault 5 and the dealer has a R5 Turbo 2 parked outside for ages. I just loved the outrageous width of the rear arches and the total impracticality!. In time I owned a tweaked R5 Turbo that was a total money pit - engine rebuild, hybrid turbo, gearbox rebuild, continual fettering and repair required but it was a joy when it was running well. I estimate it produced about 150-160bhp and it felt like a rocket ship at the time. I ran it for about four years until it was sadly stolen and recovered after someone had crashed it.

My next car was my first new car - a '98 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000. It wasn't too long before I started with some mods - AP racing brakes, STI 5 suspension, Turbo dynamics TD05 turbo, Link ECU, downpipe and SS rear silencer. It was a really great car, - fast in a straight line, comfortable stable handling with plenty of grip in all weather conditions. It also had IMHO the best engine note of any four pot engine - characterful and organic without being obnoxiously loud It was also totally reliable and was absolutely faultless for the six years I owned it. I still see it on the roads from time to time, so I'm glad to see someone is still getting pleasure from it. My kids were little at the time and they still say they miss it even though they're driving themselves now!. I'm tempted to buy one for a bit of cheap fun before prices start to rise - a couple of K would get a clean example with plenty of life left in it.

Next car was a W211 E320 CDI estate, which I bought new and ran until last year. It had a few problems (turbo boost control issues) but overall was a great car to run - comfortable, reliable, quite economical. Perfect for family holidays and driving to the south of France in a day in. My mum bought it from me and they'll run it until they or it pegs out.

I blame a friend of mine for getting me into an AMG. He's a Porsche guy, with a fast-changing fleet of Porsche GT products, Caymans, Macans and the odd Audi RS and at one time we were both running an Impreza. While I've always admired his Porsches I've never really envisaged myself in one or really DESIRED one. One day he showed me a new acquisition - a 2015 W212 E63 in Graphite grey. He showed me the car and cold-started the car - What an incredible noise!. At that point I think I was sold. I had always promised myself that at some point I would run a V8-powered car and I found myself looking longingly out of the window at his E63. Decision made.

Within a month I had test driven the car I now own, and I bought it on the spot. I as originally looking for an estate and certainly not a white car but it was so cheap and so good I handed over a deposit on the spot. It's been a great ownership experience so far - the few niggles with the car were sorted out by MB Epsom during the remainder of the factory warranty period and it's been fine since. No mods to the car, other than adding the reversing camera I wish it had had as a self-install, and powder coating the wheels. It's my daily driver and it gets used all of the time - a great machine!.

Cheers,
Alex

Well, I've always loved the 80's Aston V8 Vantage, which led to my wife surprising me by hiring one for the weekend we got married. Driving away from church in that car was such an immense experience. After driving that car, I swore that I would have a V8 again, at some point in my life.
A good few years ago, I was looking towards a TVR - but we had a child instead, which put that idea to bed at the time. Ended up in an estate for the practicality - but an exceptionally nice one in the form of an Alfa 156 GTA SW. Fantastic car, which I owned for 10 years. But I did eventually have the hankering to change, and had saved up enough pennies to afford to do so. The C63 was almost the only choice for me. What else would retain the practicality of an estate, put me into the V8 I'd always wanted, and sound even better than that Alfa Busso V6? (I talked my wife into a convertible Audi S4 V8 some years ago. A nice car, but the noise it makes is very underwhelming for what it is. It didn't scratch the itch.)
I felt like to truly succeed in the promise I'd made myself, time might be running out. Is the W204 C63 the last of the massive NA V8'S? I think it might be.

I hope people won't be annoyed if I say that the C63 doesn't have the looks the Alfa had. But it's pretty handsome outside, has a very nice interior, and the sound it makes ... I find myself giggling like a schoolgirl sometimes despite turning 40 this year.

Great thread...

My first ever car was when I was 15 (I’m now 38) and it was a non runner Austin Metro that me and my best mate jointly bought to do up and learn to drive in... which we never did!

Fast forward to the age of 28 and I bought a K reg Corsa, white, 1.4, 5 door, to learn to drive in. I had that for 6 months and then bought a 3 door Nissan Micra that was a few years younger to learn to drive in. I had that 6 months also.

Both cars were very easy to drive, but the Nissan wa much the better car. Dark green, electric windows, 1.3, and felt much better built and much quicker.

After I passed my test a few months later I bought a 2006 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon which was only a couple of years old and had 13k miles on the clock. I’ve always loved Saabs. I paid almost 8k cash for it and it was my first real car as someone with a full driving licence and I loved it. 1.8 petrol, well specked, immaculate and an ideal all-rounder. During the ownership we fell pregnant and o thought I had an ideal family car.

1 year into owning that I drove by the place I bought it and I saw a henna red BMW 635 CSI which is a car I’ve always loved the look of. A test drive later and I bought it, 136k on the clock, very good condition and I paid 2.3k for it. I had it a year and a half and got my money back for it, although I spent about 1k during ownership on an alarm, some electrical work etc.

In 2013 towards the end of that year I part exed my Saab for a Mercedes CLS 55 AMG, the car of my dreams which I had lusted after when Clarkson test drove it on top Gear, at the time it was a 70k car and I couldn’t even drive back then, but I had always wanted one. I paid 17.5k for it with 3k part ex for my Saab which had 36k miles after almost 4 years of ownership.

The CLS was everything I thought it would be and more, such a superb car. January of last year it went into MSL for a smaller pulley, a remap Nd some exhaust work which transformed the car even more. I also had other work done to it spending 4K almost.

During my ownership of the CLS I bought another Saab, an 06 9-5 sportwagon, 1.9td. What a car. I paid 2k for it with 119k on the clock. Huge leather seats, huge torque, 600 miles on a tank and a huge boot. I used it to view jobs and had it under a year before I gave it to my sister after her car basically broke on her and was going to cost too much to repair. I also had a Toyota Avensis during this time which I got on a job, 07 reg, 1.7 petrol. Very boring car, but very capable and a good all-rounder. I had that for a couple of months before letting my mechanic have it in exchange for carrying out lots of repair work on one of our vans.

Towards the end of September last year I decided I wanted a new to me car and it had to be another Mercedes AMG. I’d looked at a newer CLS63, a C63 in coupe, saloon and estate version and also the E63, again in all versions.

I settled on a diamond white E63 2014 plate saloon with 21k miles from MB with a 2 year AMG warranty which I paid just under 38k for. It has almost every option ticked and although I love it, the CLS 55 which I used as part ex, knocks spots off it in many ways. Styling, noise, comfort and just general ownership. The CLS is by far the best car I’ve had and will likely to have in terms of all-round package. It was a beast or a 4 seater limo. It’s looks will go down in history as one of MBs finest and it’s a future classic without doubt. I regret selling it to this day and ho-fully one day will go back to one.

The best car I’ve had in terms of an all-round family car is the Saab 9-3. Again I regret selling that and missed out on rebuying it by a day. I would get almost 500 miles on a single tank and although it lacked power being just a normal 1.8 engine, it was a comfortable cruiser and those seats are the best I’ve ever sat in and that boot... huge! It also handled superb in any weather.

The 635 CSI was the best looking car as it had the chrome bumpers and window trim and drew the most attention being in stunning henna red, such a beautiful car. I regret selling that because to buy the kind of car I had now in the condition it was you’d be looking at 10k. I just didn’t have a garage and hardly drove it. Less than 600 miles I put on it. That was my first classic car though and 120 quid to insure despite only having my licence a short while. I’d love another so maybe one day...

I also had two classic minis for a short while which we got on a job, a 1967 reg green one which I sold to a mate for 6k which he has since nut and bolt restored even though it was in 90% fantastic condition and a ‘73’ plate one that was a replica of a Cooper which we since learned was really an ‘89 shell. Both great cars and so easy to drive, marvels of British engineering and car manufacturing. My two boys loved them. I kind of regret getting rid of the 67 one as it’s now been valued at 10k, but it went to a great mate of mine who will pass it down to his grandson and he has also gave me first refusal if he ever sells it which he won’t.

I’ve also co owned a 2001 Clio which I also got off a job, for the wife, it leaked in the sunroof and was an awful car. Next up for her was a Citroen C4, 2006, 35k miles, gold and a great little car. Lots of tech and neat interior. Small boot though. Then there was a 2004 Rav 4 2-0 petrol to get her used to a bigger car. Lots of torque and it drove like a small car. Great cars. Amazing in the snow. She currently has a new Nissan X-Trail which we bought new in 2016, 7 seater and for me it has the best sat nav, radio and 360 camera trio of any car I’ve test drove or been in. Great car, but a 1.6 Diesel engine is seriously underpowered. I believe the newer range comes with a 2-0 which would interest us as they are great cars. 60 quid gets you 500 miles or so.

Back to the present and the E63... what a car. But I think I’ll be getting rid of it in 2 years time as it’s not the car for me sadly. I love it because it’s great, but it’s not my kind of AMG. I spoilt myself with the CLSS 55 and the mods I had done to that which transformed it.

In the next 5-8 years I’d like to own a Porsche 911, a classic Ferrari and an S class AMG, preferably an older model, the S55 which again I’ve lusted after. I may get one of those during my ownership of the E63.

I’m a petrol head and when I was six I subscribed to Car, Auto Express etc. while all my mates were into football. I love my cars and over the years have driven a classic 86 Porsche 911 which I broke the gear box (my brother-in-laws), a 2006 911 turbo, Astras, Corsas, Vectras, Fords, all kinds.

For me I’m an AMG man, and always will be. An AMG has this unmistakable AMG uniqueness that sets it apart from BMW M cars or Audi RS cars. AMGs are a different animal and I juts love them. Happy motoring to everyone in here regardless of their car, MB or otherwise, AMG or not.

Because I didn't like the 911 carrera gts cabriolet I test drove, the aston v8 and db9 vantages were awful inside, the bentley gtc were much older and I was advised against them and I cant afford a ferrari or lamborghini.

I've had dogs most of my life, so an estate or a big hatchback is needed. I like torquey, powerful engines. I had a couple of SAAB 9000 hatchbacks, both with the fpt 250 bhp engine, followed by a 270 bhp 9-5 estate. Don't ask about the torque steer!

I'd been wondering what to get next, and spotted an E55 S210 on eBay. And so it began...

The SAABs were quick, but the E55 was in a different league. The two E55Ks which followed it were in yet another league.

What I'm looking for now is an S211 E500 estate with the 5.5 engine, or maybe an S212 the same. I don't think I'll have another AMG, but I fear I'd be easily persuaded by the right E55K...

For a few reasons really.

There was one local to me that used to burble round the houses and I loved the sound of it. I thought it was out of my league but as is always the case, I investigate first to find out for sure whether or not it is out of reach.

In my previous Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, I slightly lost out to a CLK350 petrol in a traffic light grand prix which upset my ying and yang. I decided I wanted a car that would devastate most other cars on the roads. Certainly did that especially once modified.

I'd loved the look of the W211 ever since I first saw them everywhere in Italy and Germany as taxis around 2004/2005 and vowed to have one one day. Never thought I would go for the AMG but I'd had an M3 Evolution and Alpina B10 V8 in the past so I was no stranger to fast motors (certainly in there day anyway).

One reason, I had a injury to my back many years back & could not manage to drive my TVR anymore,but I still wanted a car with similar type performance in Auto guise.
my 1st auto performance car was a 911 Carrera 4...no good & i could not afford the Turbo, so next was C32 AMG...with a smaller pulley ,remap & johnson pump ...Bingo! Then E55 amg caught my eye & I kept the two for a year & then sold the C32 AMG, now I am selling the E55 .

Wanted the noise of a V8 and everything I read said that if that was the priority a C63 was the answer.
Before that it was 2 seat convertibles.

Too old and too many cars leading to where I am now which would bore everyone to death...but most recently...
Bought an SL500 in 2016 after really wanting an SL63 but the 500 was well sorted and equipped so went with it- regretted it
Traded for E63, no regrets...simples

Nice collection there, my eldest son has just sold his Blade almost identical to your one. He replaced it with a new R1 60th Anniversary Edition
I was working on the car today when he came to visit. I heard him from over a mile away, boys will be boys.

As for my AMG, well it’s not really an AMG but Mercedes like to milk the name. Anyway I really like it as I’ve always liked a luxury car with all the toys. My previous car, well it’s the wife’s actually it keeps her happy but it was a Jaguar 3.0 XF Premium Luxury but I had severe door corrosion problems and after a fight with Jaguar they eventually replaced all four doors.

Sadly it was written off just weeks later (non fault accident) so the missus now has the CLS

I’ve got a few classics in my collection the best being a fully restored Rover SD1 Vitesse. I did a full restoration / rebuild over a three year period so she now looks like a new car but after attending some shows with it I decided to mothball it so it sits in a carpeted garage under a tailored cover.

My daily driver is a Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur and I’m currently restoring another one which has a better spec so will be changing over this summer after running the current one for six years.

The 75 is a brilliant car, we’ve had continuous ownership of at least one since 2002. They’re not the fastest but at 67 I’m not in for speed anymore I just like the comfort plus they’re reliable.

Needed an estate car two years ago and went out and bought a brand new Golf R estate after a test driving the hatchback.

That was an error.

Previous car to that was a GT86 which i loved. The Golf was the polar opposite. Safe, 4wd, turbo and just too competant to be any fun.

So the Golf has gone for a w204 C63 and I’m happy as larry again. It’s like a big GT86 but naughtier.

ps. Recognise your user name Jim.

I’m just about to sell a mk2 clio v6. Sure it will be worth a boatload in the future but hey ho. It’s going to pay for a loft conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom