How did you spend your time before the internet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
How did you spend your time before using the internet and joining this forum?

I've been online since the days of compuserve and my email address back then was (I think) 10166,[email protected]

I can remember my first real computer was a second hand 286. People came over to look at that machine and marvel at its power. :D

It seems almost everything we do these days has something to do with the internet.

I can only guess that I used to get out more..

I was online before it became the internet. The days of text based BBS and having to manually assemble multipart messages in order to read a post.

My Olivetti 486 dx2 was the fastest home computer money could buy at the time according to the PC mags. It cost a whopping £3,700 :eek:

Before then though I spent my time chasing women and smoking dope.

Last edited:
"I was onlin before it became the internet. The days of text based BBS and having to manually assemble multipart messages in order to read a post.

My Olivetti 486 dx2 was the fastest home computer money could buy at the time according to the PC mags. It cost a whopping £3,700
eek.gif

Before then though I spent my time chasing women and smoking dope."

Lol! :D

You could chase a lot of women and smoke a lot of dope for £3700.00 !

A 486 :cool:

"I was onlin before it became the internet. The days of text based BBS and having to manually assemble multipart messages in order to read a post.

My Olivetti 486 dx2 was the fastest home computer money could buy at the time according to the PC mags. It cost a whopping £3,700
eek.gif

Before then though I spent my time chasing women and smoking dope."

Lol! :D

You could chase a lot of women and smoke a lot of dope for £3700.00 !

:cool:

Not really, I calculate that at only about 50 women and six months supply of weed. :D

50.. jeebers. :eek:

IIRC the guy who invented the internet disclosed that the www. is not required but that's how the thing was set up originally and so remained that way?

sorry, life did not exist before the internet.:D

Now ALL my mates are on there!

saves going out and meeting people anyway.

And with Google Earth, I have been everywhere in the world. Think of how Green my carbon foot print is.:D

meanwhile, back on Earth...........................

my first PC was a Commodore Vic 20! I played games on that and the Amiga until the IBM Aptiva came out! which was a 268 50hz job.....then I learnt about word documents......been struggling along with them ever since.

Before the interenet I had my health and eyesight, but only briefly. As a kid in the early 80s we had a Commodore Pet in the house with a modem the size of brick. Happy days!

I am a relative newcomer to the modern world. I only got onto the internet in 2001, I hadn't touched a computer before then.

Prior to that my time was taken up by doing up my house, work, holidays and doing stuff that a single bloke in his 30's would do.

Gallavanting, drinking, dallying, smoking dope, dithering, chasing girls and playing football.

First PC proper was an IBM XT built for me by an engineer and before that some machine that ran on cassette tapes.

Superbrain running CP/M

And the first machine I worked on was a GA SPC/16

GA_SPC-16.jpg

4k-16k magnetic core store, Remex PTR, Teletype KSR 33 (150 baud)

As it only had 15 bit addressing, (the msb was an interrupt status bit) you needed a memory management unit to go above 32k.

And I once wrote a bootstrap loader in binary - proper binary from the front panel switches, not your normal assembly code.

I'm such an interesting chap.

50.. jeebers. :eek:

IIRC the guy who invented the internet disclosed that the www. is not required but that's how the thing was set up originally and so remained that way?

www is definitely not needed. Its just a convention for a web server on a subdomain, like ftp. is a convention for an ftp server.
you can have anything you like to address your subdomain.

There is a very slight link here that too much puff and an early interest in IT go hand in hand :D:D

Just been looking at that photo, and noticed a jolly interesting point that if you look closely at the front panel switches, they are set for x3FE0 which is the ptr boostrap address, and confirms that there is 16k of memory in the processor.

Fascinating stuff. Please ask if you need any further information on these wonderful machines.

playing rick dangerous/the newzeland story/the obliterator on an amiga 500 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom