How do CLKs measure up to w202s, interior wise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
1998 C250 TD Sport
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone could shed any light on how large a CLKs interior is compared to a w202? In terms of leg space really.

W208 has the same floor pan?? - but 2 [ longer] doors instead of 4 -- possible minor loss of rear legroom due to "thicker" front seat uprights? -- loss of some head space due to lower roof level but rear seats may be lower to compensate requiring a slightly more "reclining " seating position ? that's about it. It's the getting in and out that's the main problem.

Last edited:
Id say almost identical, maybe slightly less so in the rear but thats down to the lack of rear doors. bare in mind the W208 only has 2 rear seats unlike the W202s 3.

(not as solid build quality on the seating and trim as a W202 I might add)

Thanks guys. Have been offered a CLK as a swap for my C250 sport so just mulling it over :)

Id say almost identical, maybe slightly less so in the rear but thats down to the lack of rear doors. bare in mind the W208 only has 2 rear seats unlike the W202s 3.

(not as solid build quality on the seating and trim as a W202 I might add)

Interesting - this is actually the opposite of what I've experienced. My old man had a W202 estate with black leather 6 years ago just as I bought my facelift W208 CLK (also with black leather interior). The leather in the CLK showed no wear at all and felt/looked much superior in terms of quality than the W202. The cars had approx the same mileage. The W202 had the fake aluminium interior trim too which seemed lower rent than the CLK (fake?) wood.

I also find the CLK seats more supportive (they have the side supports) and the base is a few inches longer making it more comfortable for longer legged drivers.

Having said that we had a brand new W202 in '96 with a cloth interior and that seemed very sturdy too.

Interesting - this is actually the opposite of what I've experienced. My old man had a W202 estate with black leather 6 years ago just as I bought my facelift W208 CLK (also with black leather interior). The leather in the CLK showed no wear at all and felt/looked much superior in terms of quality than the W202. The cars had approx the same mileage. The W202 had the fake aluminium interior trim too which seemed lower rent than the CLK (fake?) wood.

No W202s come with aluminium trim, you sure it wasnt a W203?

Ive said it before on here, the rear bench trim (replacing the centre seat) on the W208 is extremely cheap, the central ash tray feels like you could snap it in two.

Ive installed a handful of stereos in W208s by taking the seats out and most of the trim, and my brother had one for years so I am talking from experience :)

Should anything happen to my W208 I would consider getting a W208 - I am still a fan of them!

Getting in and out of the back of a W208 with memory seats was easier as it had motors that moved the front seat cushion forward on pulling the handle. The non-memory type and W209's seats, including memory are a bit of a pain with a kind of push forward and lift action to move them forward and then slide the base back before putting the seat back into position. Just thought i'd mention that :)

No W202s come with aluminium trim, you sure it wasnt a W203?

Ive said it before on here, the rear bench trim (replacing the centre seat) on the W208 is extremely cheap, the central ash tray feels like you could snap it in two.

Ive installed a handful of stereos in W208s by taking the seats out and most of the trim, and my brother had one for years so I am talking from experience :)

Should anything happen to my W208 I would consider getting a W208 - I am still a fan of them!

Was definitely a S202. Possibly not a great description of the trim, maybe fake carbon fibre stylie. Either way it was silver-y with some black in it and not to my taste! Possibly a special order as the car itself was an unusual colour (bright red).

Concur on the rear ashtray on the W208 - def feels cheap. Other than that my W208 interior is totally pristine at 12 years old and the leather looks almost as new. Must post some pics. Suppose it helps that the rear seats have never really been used in my ownsership but they could pass for nearly new and everything is still tight/ rattle free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom