how do i change the thermostat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lars-mad

Car
1996 c180 2.0 1995 C180 AMG 1988 190e 2.3 1989 230CE with facelift
hello how do i change the thermostat on a c180 with c200 engine? does anyone have a how to?

Lars

Pretty simple. They come as a complete unit with the metal housing and O ring----about £30+ from Merc. Part drain the system via the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator -don't use excessive force as they can go brittle with age. IF RECENTLY CHANGED save the coolant to use again otherwise refill with new 50/50 water/antifreeze mix-- use MB antifreeze. Remove small bore pipe to the expansion reservoir and the radiator top hose[ renew if brittle/old] Slacken off the 3 securing bolts--- remove the old stat+housing+O ring ---clean up the mating surfaces - fit the new one make sure the O ring is seated properly Torque the bolts down to M6= 10Nm or M8=25Nm replace the hoses--- refill the coolant -- test for leaks and top up as required squeezing the top hose can help expell air once the thermostat is open

If it's the same as the W203 C270/220, ISTR something about being very careful of some fuel pipes that can easily break, also that it's worth removing the oil filter to make access to one of the 3 bolts lots easier.

If it's the same as the W203 C270/220, ISTR something about being very careful of some fuel pipes that can easily break, also that it's worth removing the oil filter to make access to one of the 3 bolts lots easier.
then i have to get oil filter too? must i change oil then ? have not had this car more than a month have to use cardboard in the front grill to get the engine temp over +60 celcius

Definitely beware of the fuel lines in the current weather - age can make them brittle although seems to affect diesels more than petrols.

I didn't have to remove oil filter/housing on my 270 but did on the 320. Not sure where it's located on the smaller petrol engines.

It is a fairly straightforward job though but just be careful!

No, you don't have to replace the oil filter - it's just that (on the 220/270 engine) one of the thermostat housing bolts is a swine to access - much easier if you take the oil filter off, cover the hole so no crap gets in, put it back on when you're finished. I have no idea if it's the same on your engine!

You might want to take a look at this thread - http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65685 - which is for the 220/270 engine.

Last edited:
You don't have to touch the oil filter on the W202 2litre 4 cylinder Petrol 111.941 engine .Simply not necessary.

finally got it done today took about 5 minutes thanks for good answers everybody!

Lars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom