How do I... convert headlamps for the continent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beetnik

Car
Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
Hi - first post - just bought a new SLK 200 in part as we're heading for a tour of France shortly. So to my question - how to convert the headlamps for driving on the left - on a temporary basis?

Hi - first post - just bought a new SLK 200 in part as we're heading for a tour of France shortly. So to my question - how to convert the headlamps for driving on the left - on a temporary basis?

Open the bonnet and have a look at the rear of the headlights. You might find a lever behind the dipped beam housing when you remove the cover. If so slide it till it either gives you a horizontal beam or a beam pattern kicking up to the right (for France/Europe) If you ask your MB dealer they should do it for free (3 minute job)

Last edited:
You can also buy, from Halfords etc, stick on convertors that change the dip from left to centre/right.

You can also buy, from Halfords etc, stick on convertors that change the dip from left to centre/right.

Technically that isn't quite correct - all they do is block off the pattern that dips to the left so as not to blind oncoming drivers - they dont re-direct the light to the right .... (Pedantic ? Moi?):D

Open the bonnet and have a look at the rear of the headlights. You might find a lever behind the dipped beam housing when you remove the cover. If so slide it till it either gives you a horizontal beam or a beam pattern kicking up to the right (for France/Europe) If you ask your MB dealer they should do it for free (3 minute job)

I thought (possibly incorrectly) that this only applied to Zenons. Otherwise it is the sticky adapters, or new headlights!

David

Yes it's typically only xenons that have an adjustment lever.

If you travel to the continent regularly one ruse is to have a set of headlamp protectors permanently fitted with the sticky mask things. Then you can just fit/remove at will.

For occasional driving, if your car has manual beam level adjustment you can just lower the beams slightly. Not ideal, but better than blinding oncoming drivers.

Yes it's typically only xenons that have an adjustment lever.

If you travel to the continent regularly one ruse is to have a set of headlamp protectors permanently fitted with the sticky mask things. Then you can just fit/remove at will.

For occasional driving, if your car has manual beam level adjustment you can just lower the beams slightly. Not ideal, but better than blinding oncoming drivers.

I have the adjustment levers on mine which are not XENONS. Also I can't beleive a new SLK does not have headlamp dipped beam adjusters for driving in mainland Europe ? :confused:

Last edited:
I have the adjustment levers on mine which are not XENONS. Also I can't beleive a new SLK does not have headlamp dipped beam adjusters for driving in mainland Europe ? :confused:

I can believe it :)

I need to check my Vito ... 99% sure it's sticky masks or nothing. It cost more than a new SLK200, too :D

I believe w203's are sticky backed plastic jobbies too...well mine is anyway....(non xenon)

Beetnik, we take ours to France quite often and decided to ignore the correction and choose never to drive in the dark in France. We have to set off so early from home we need them in the UK setting [normal] for the early morning part of the journey and by the time we get any sensible distance in France, the last thing we want to do is get back in the car. So, we drive in daylight over there only and if we need lamps for poor weather or rain, we just use side lights and the fog lights which are low and don't cause a problem to oncoming frogs. This only works if you don't need to drive at night, but we think the food is too good to miss so don't drive over dinner time. Just a thought!

Hi. As far as I'm aware the change over lever is only on projector head lights, both halogen and xenon. It doesn't convert the head light from left-hand dip to right-hand dip, it just removes the "kick-up" which is used to illuminate the nearside kerb to prevent it dazzling on coming drivers.

Last edited:
That's certainly true for the W204 non-HID setup. A lever inside the headlamp assembly moves a mask over the beam to give a symetrical cut off.

That's certainly true for the W204 non-HID setup. A lever inside the headlamp assembly moves a mask over the beam to give a symetrical cut off.

Same as mine, horizontal pattern.

Small warning about stick on beam blockers - we used them on a Zafira and the heat build up on them marked the clear plastic lenses.

Hmm - got off my backside and had a look. No obvious lever to switch 'em over. I'll ask at the Stealers and see what they say.

Did you take the low beam cover off and look inside ?

You might need a mirror to locate it if there is one

Spot on and yes they'll do it for free (but not if I break it trying to diy:) )

Glad you got it sorted, enjoy France !!!

5 weeks to blast off. Should be interesting packing the boot for 2 of us for a 2 week break!:bannana:

Her: All the usual stuff.
Him: One pr shorts and two T shirts

My cougar which had H7 head lamps had a switch in the light (Chas I think you have H7 lights as well ... )and the xenons I suppose which have H7 style housing... they should have a level.
I have checked on my CL, could not see an obvious switch, but I did not look thorough, will have to do soon though as I travel through Europe in 1 month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom