How do I dry out my car interior?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Hi Guy's,

I have had a flood in the W210 due to two blocked drains (one below wiper assy and one on the O/S inner wing).

I have got all visible water out of the car with the aqua vacuum cleaner and got as much as I can out of the carpets (these are foam backed though and are still holding moisture).

What is the best way to dry out the car.

1: Leave the car running with the furnace-like heater blowing?

2: Leave the windows open and let nature take its course?

3: A combination of the above two options?

I want to dry out the car so that the moisture doesn't see off my second (expensive) control unit situated next to the battery under the rear seat.

I've asked the local computer shop to collect as many silica gel sachets as they have to thwart any remaining moisture.

TIA.

Paul.

dehumifier from B&Q, they are cheap, you only need a small one, if not borrow one from a friend. They work very well

Do these dehumidifiers run from 12v?

Iv only seen mains ones, & i think thats what you need, probably need to be in car for 3 or 4 nights

Iv only seen mains ones, & i think thats what you need, probably need to be in car for 3 or 4 nights

yes mains ones are best. You will need it on for about 4 nights, getting a large one does not quicken the drying time since the water takes time to get drawn out of the upholstery and carpets etc. For a small enviroment like a car go for a smallish one. Keep it on til u dont need to empty the tank anymore

Paul, with all this trouble you're having with your E estate,its making me wonder if iv spent my £370 wisely :dk: :D

Many thanks for the advice. I seem to remember my Mum buying a dehumidifier. ;)

Newspaper placed under the carpet will help remove water from wet carpet, and plenty of ventilation .
good luck,:thumb:

you can also hire dehumidifiers from HSS...get one - stick it and your car in a garage and overnight it'll dry out

HSS Hire › 180 Ltr Dehumidifier

okok -it'll probably take more than 12 hours to do it...but it's just the ticket

Last edited:
Paul, how much water are you talking about? I once bought a car that had been left standing outside with the sunroof slightly open, I had to remove the interior and carpets to dry it properly and to get rid of the smell.

Newspaper placed under the carpet will help remove water from wet carpet, and plenty of ventilation .

Id remove all the carpets, not as difficult as you'd think. I did it after my leaky footwell.

You will be amazed how much they weight, even once the water is removed.

:eek:
Paul, how much water are you talking about? I once bought a car that had been left standing outside with the sunroof slightly open, I had to remove the interior and carpets to dry it properly and to get rid of the smell.

Hi Leigh,

I have removed say, a bucket full from the O/S of the car. I would say a litre or so is still present in the foam backing of the carpets.

I want to get ALL of it out - those control units cost nearly £500 new.

Luckily the one I have now was a used one.

A picture of my original control unit due to moisture. I thought the moisture was present due to a missing footplate that I had but was too lazy to fit!

W210ControlUnit004.jpg

Last edited:
Remove the carpets, they will never dry out & start smelling otherwise. I left mine on a radiator for the best part of a week

You need to dry them before the mold sets in.

Many thanks guy's.

It's looking like carpets out then. :thumb:

As has been mentioned before, make sure you pull up the carpets and dry properly. You will be surprised how much water the sponge under the carpet will be retaining and if not dried and soaked up properly will begin to smell.

Has happened to me before...http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/575847-post6.html

I cleaned out the awkward to get to drain below the wiper assembly and also the drain on the inner O/S wing. I hope I have cured the problem once and for all. Cr*p design IMHO. :mad:

Yep that should do it. No other places for the water to get in like it did. Since mine was cleaned haven't any issues since so you should be ok if you cleaned the drains properly :thumb:

The same view (newspaper) as this forum's Dieselman.

Welcome to the forum. :) Why don't you introduce yourself in the members introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Vanden-plas 1300 Princess eh?

Post some pictures in the intro section. :thumb:

Regards,

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom