How do I empty the petrol from my lawnmower?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
I need to return my duff Flymo petrol mower to the shop, and they'll need the petrol drained out - how do I empty it?
:dk:

Turn it on its side and empty the tank into a bucket, then decant the contents of the bucket into a can until the mower comes back, when it will do for a top up after a nice clean fill shows it works. Don't use it in a car, unless its an elderly Wartburg or Saab.

Is there no drain screw under the carb, or fuel line leading from the tank itself to the carb?

Thats where I'd drain it from.

RESULT! Upturned it and drained the duff mower. Homebase replaced it, no question. They also threw in an oil/fuel starter kit for nothing PLUS the reduction in price of their mowers meant we got a better model and some shelves with £13 cashback too :bannana:

Just an point to remember if you have a lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton.

NEVER TIP IT ON ITS' SIDE.

If you do, it will run like a sack of poo, because the oil in the engine blocks up the breathers on the carb. Been there, done it, repaired a few.

Just an point to remember if you have a lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton.

NEVER TIP IT ON ITS' SIDE.

If you do, it will run like a sack of poo, because the oil in the engine blocks up the breathers on the carb. Been there, done it, repaired a few.

Even better....never buy a B&S :D:D

Even better....never buy a B&S :D:D

While I have nothing but praise for the three Honda mowers that we use on the caravan park, we have had several mowers with B&S motors and they have all given good service.

One in particular was bought for about £80 in 1989 and retired about 2003, with never an oil change and still the original spark plug. It was given to a family member and is still running today.

My B&S engined Mountfield is now well over 20 years old and still works fine.
It can be a bit of a S*D on the first start after being laid up for the winter, but once its fired up, its fine for the rest of the season.
The only maintenance its had in all that time is keeping the air fliter sponge clean and oiled up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom