How do I find out if command will go in my W208?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrSkipsey

Car
Mercedes CLK 320
I have a W208 CLK [2000] with an Audio 10 radio/cassette and NO CD changer in the boot.
I was looking at a direct swap with an Audio 10 radio/CD head unit but am also toying with the idea of fitting a COMMAND unit.
Ive been looking at a Command 2.0 out of a [2000] E class but want to know how I go about checking if the part number from the command unit will sync with my CLK?
Also, apart from the antenna what else would I need to buy to get it up and running if its compatable?
Thanks in advance.
Mike.

Before anyone can answer your questions you'll need to state whether your CLK is facelifted and whether the donor car is facelifted.

Easiest way to tell is indicators in the mirrors on both cars.

If they're both facelift models then the comand units are interchangable and should work with minimal modifications.

Mine does, Ill find out of the other car has too. I think it does.
If they both do what would be the next procedure if I was to get the Command unit with antenna?

Mine does, Ill find out of the other car has too. I think it does.
If they both do what would be the next procedure if I was to get the Command unit with antenna?
You have some choice here.

You can fit a facelift (CANBUS) COMAND unit into the slot in your dash (after cutting the shelf out) the wiring should already be there for you. You need to choose an antenna location and type, roof mount or hidden-type, under the dash or under the parcel shelf/hat tray/rear deck whatever!

Most of the CANBUS magic happens inside the instrument cluster so once COMAND is plugged into the CANBUS wiring inside the dash you'll have to find a kind person with access to STAR diagnosis to tell it that the COMAND is present.

Optionally you might want to fit a CD changer, phone integration, linguatronic and any other bits and pieces while you're at it.

To start though, all you need is the COMAND, nav disc and antenna.

Shude , are you sure an E class ( w210 ) Comand will go in a 208 ?

When Alfie fitted mine , he fitted an ML 163 Comand , not sure the E class will work.

Shude , are you sure an E class ( w210 ) Comand will go in a 208 ?

When Alfie fitted mine , he fitted an ML 163 Comand , not sure the E class will work.
Obviously there are many different units knocking around but basically there are two different types: canbus and non-canbus.

non-canbus: The 163 ML was never gifted with canbus AFAIK so practically all 163s fitted with comand got a 163 comand unit. When the supply of 163 comands ran out some 163s were fitted with 208 or 210 models with a canbus adapter to bridge the features to the non-canbus car. This is pretty rare though. You can fit a 163 non-canbus comand unit to basically any car with a double-din hole in the dash.

canbus: There are a few 210 and possibly 208 comand units knocking around from pre-facelift (and pre-canbus) models which are non-canbus but pretty much all 208 and 210 comand units expect the car to have canbus. You could fit one of these to a non-canbus car if you had a canbus emulator to provide the signals it expects.

The only real difference between a 208 and 210 comand is the angle of the gyroscope, you can tell this by looking at the side of the unit, the different gyroscopes have different coloured plugs. The difference is fractional AFAIK and they can be interchanged. If I was going to fit a comand unit to a pre-facelift 208 or 210 I'd probably use a 163 comand unit as there is no canbus to worry about, on a facelift 208 or 210 I'd be using either a 208 or 210 comand unit to take advantage of the canbus features.

Why would i have had a w163 unit installed then if i have canbus ?

Pretty sure Mark didn't put any adaptors in ...

Shude is absolutey correct here.

The following comand units can easily be interchanged between W208 and W210 facelifted cars; A210 820 54 89 , A210 820 56 89, A208 820 40 89 and A208 820 44 89. All are CANBUS comands and differ only by a 5 degree gyro angle (which can be altered anyway).

Howard has a 210 comand in his car hence it works with his steering wheel controls. IIRC

A163 820 36 89 is a non CANBUS comand and is the best unit to put into a non CANBUS car.

Sorry guys , i've misunderstood. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom