How do I fix this damage to wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omega1

Car
E400d 2020 4matic (W213)
Hi all,

I've been meaning to address this damage on a C220 that I bought for a while, but only just got round to it, any tips on what to use and how best to touch it up?

Thanks in advance.

14052010634.jpg

I touched-up minor kerb rash like that up just with some standard primer and brilliant silver (744) + lacquer. Primer was brushed on and rubbed down to get a smooth finish (several coats - tiny bit of filler for any bigger knicks) then spray the paint + lacquer (actually think I brushed the first coats of silver). Difficult bit is masking the rest of the wheel/tyre - some appropriate thin cardboad cutouts helped. Paint join on the lip of the wheel is easy to hide (t-cut the tar spots on the inner edge away first).

Cheap, but time consuming, and was good enough to survive a tyre change.

All the work was done in the garage (I had a spare set of wheels) - much easier with the wheel at a suitable height - and was able to spead the work over a number of evenings.

Good advice there from Steve, but if it's a nice car why not get the wheels refurbished?

Not all that expensive and really lifts the appearance of a vehicle IMHO :)

hi, thanks for advice, i dont really think its worth a refurb, just something i fancied having a go at to see if i could hide the damage, all 4 have to one degree or another and thought that i could tackle it on a nice sunny sunday. good advice about getting it done in a garage, although not an option for me unfortunately, looks like a few days sat on the pavement! (yes, yes, i'll wear my hi viz and hard hat and risk assess it first!)

as always, thanks for the info.

Some good info on DIY refurbing your wheels is available here

http://tinyurl.com/29rdqwr

have a similar problem, all 4 wheels on my W210 are badly scuffed and had flaking lacquer. A "pro" refurb seems expensive to me (been quoted around 70 quid per wheel) so I would prefer to do a temporary DIY cosmetic job and then hold out for a new set from Ebay.....

Last edited:
Hi PJay, the link doesnt seem to work? Could you repost? Mnay thnaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom