How do I know if alarm works?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dozypillock

Car
C209 CLK320
Mights sound silly, but I assumed it worked ok (and am aware of problems with older alarms etc).
I have never actually tested it, but recently left my dog in back for couple of minutes (and never even thought about alarm), and when I returned the hazards were going.
No noise or anything, so do I need to worry about alarm battery failing, and its associated problems?
If I lock car from inside, and jump up and down, or something, what should I expect?

Neil

Put driver's window down, lock car, wait a minute, then reach in and do stuff.

I don't know about other mercs, but my doors won't open if you reach in and try to open it, but that triggers the alarm too.

You have to wait a minute for the alarm to arm. You'd expect your alarm to sound. If you just get hazards, something's wrong with the siren

Last edited:
After you have locked the car with the remote, you can also test the alarm by releasing the bonnet or unlock the driver’s door or boot with the metal key blade.

When the alarm is triggered, the siren should sound for no more than 30 seconds and the hazards should flash for 3 minutes.

When you lock the car with remote the hazards should flash 3 times, if the flash 2 times then a door/boot or bonnet is open or not shut properly.

Dec

After you have locked the car with the remote, you can also test the alarm by releasing the bonnet or unlock the driver’s door or boot with the metal key blade.

When the alarm is triggered, the siren should sound for no more than 30 seconds and the hazards should flash for 3 minutes.

When you lock the car with remote the hazards should flash 3 times, if the flash 2 times then a door/boot or bonnet is open or not shut properly.

Dec

Not relevant to the thread but you have reminded me I need to check I can actually open the boot with the key!

Many thanks for the advice. I will test it later. I suspect that as it was only a a couple of minutes the dog set off alarm, but I would not have heard it if it only goes for 30 seconds, and then the hazards were still on as within the 3 minutes etc.

Neil

Have you heard the siren? My wife's S203 just flashes the hazards, I suspect the siren under the wheel arch is kaput, £100.00 part plus fitting I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom