How do I know if my car's had Star Guard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

This is Pete

Car
E350 CDI Sport Estate, Porsche 911 CS4
Well, I got my E350 just before Christmas and put a stack of miles on it over the brimbo holiday. Needless to say, it was pretty filthy come the new year.

I was told by MB that it would have the Star Guard treatment to make it easier to wash. So when I came to wash it, I was a little surprised that the dirt didn't mostly fall off and it needed a fair bit of rubbing at. In fact, I've had well-waxed cars in the past that have been far easier.

I should have had a kit of materials left in the boot, but there was nothing.

Now, I have absolutely no reason to disblieve the dealership (this is Mercedes Benz World, after all), but are there any tell-tale signs that would reassure me that it's been done?

Thought you would have had the bag of goodies, and maybe a tiny sticker on the windscreen.

To be honest, I personally think you would by better off with a decent wax and leather protector/Scotchgard.

S

Thought you would have had the bag of goodies, and maybe a tiny sticker on the windscreen.

Agreed, my previous SupaGuarded E Class came with the little holdall of tar remover, birdsh*t remover, cloth etc etc.

I had the sticker put in the windscreen and the little kit in the boot but still dont think anything was done.

Yeah, I don't have a sticker and it looks as though they forgot to put the kit in. Was also wondering if they forgot to do the treatment itself, as there's no documentation about it in the paperwork.

I had starguard 'applied' to my car when I bought it aswell.

I was expecting it to be very easy to wash and for the rain to repell the water quite well. Shortly after taking delivery it was starting to lose it's deep shine and the rain was not repelling as well.

I was so disappointed that I bought some Autoglym HD wax and put that on instead. The HD wax made it look far better and I now apply it every three months.

I'm not even sure if the dealer did actually apply starguard to the car. If they did then it is something that is not worth the £600.

View attachment 27487

^After Autoglym HD wax

Last edited:
Personally I think all these Starguard/Supaguard products are a waste of time. It's amazing what the dealership charges the customer for Supaguard and what the dealer actually pays for it. I think they are all a waste of time. A decent sealant and then a couple of coasts of a high quality wax will do much better. I could be wrong, but personally I think they are an over rated rip-off that dealers con the customers into thinking that the product is amazing. Rant over, just don't like seeing people mugged off. :dk:

For me, it was bundled free with the car.

I had starguard 'applied' to my car when I bought it aswell.

I was expecting it to be very easy to wash and for the rain to repell the water quite well. Shortly after taking delivery it was starting to lose it's deep shine and the rain was not repelling as well.

I was so disappointed that I bought some Autoglym HD wax and put that on instead. The HD wax made it look far better and I now apply it every three months.

I'm the same. And I'll most probably give it a good wax soon.

I had it on mine and again, I am not that impressed.

I had been warned by many people before I bought the car it wasn't worth the money but as we got to the point where the deal was about to be done, I asked for them to throw in the Supaguard and the Toy Car (see other thread) and they can go and get their order form.

I did get the kit in the boot and it probably has been done but I would have been disappointed if I had paid £600 for it.

It is a massive con really...

I heard one of the main dealer buys in the supaguard kits for around £15 and then charges £300 for it!
No wonder they throw it in ;)

I guess it it is down to the attention of the applicator! I got it on mine, bag for car exterior and another for the leather, plus sticker in window to say it has been done. It comes with a 3 year guarantee to bead water and to last, they reapply it for free if it has gone and not working. Last winter my silver car was black after the snow and ice, and everything came off very easily.
K

Hi Pete

i received two packs of materials and the car had a sticker on the windscreen
they have also done a complimentary top up since
i would ask them for both a pack of goodies and ask them to top it up on the exterior at least
- it should be very shiny and show tiny beads when wet

im a fan of stargard but others point out there are better systems

look on fleabay full kits with stickers £20

It is a massive con really...

I heard one of the main dealer buys in the supaguard kits for around £15 and then charges £300 for it!
No wonder they throw it in ;)

Yep along with mats and finance its where they make there money, buy mine for about £25 and does the same job and £300 amazingly enough is what most dealers charge....shame merc/land rover don't charge the same as fiat/Citroen for parts and service.

the product is ok with interior and conv hoods But don't believe it works on Vehicle body

My under standing of starguard is you take the car back to the dealer every six months and they valet the car and use the various polishes and cleaner supplied to you which they then top up for your use. well thats what my dealer said.
simon

My under standing of starguard is you take the car back to the dealer every six months and they valet the car and use the various polishes and cleaner supplied to you which they then top up for your use. well thats what my dealer said.
simon

If it is near you and it's not to much trouble then I would have this done, you will work towards getting some of your money back, chances are the dealer likes you and while being pushed to sell the product he probably felt bad as I have not heard that service down here.

Star guard is just another con a dealership. It's not made fro
Nano polymer tech, therefore why would it last any duration at all. Zaino z2 on its own with no prep would out live this so called products. As said before if you want a genuine product that actually does the job, get the car treated with GTechniq nano polymer coating. I have just completed my 62nd car with C1, C5 & G1 and there really is nothing that beats it in durability.

Kind regards

Mike

Useless treatment

I had my last car (a Renault) done with the official treatment, G3 Glasscoat, same sort of stuff as the one Mercedes offers. Cost me £300! I am a disabled driver (Motability) and this seemed a good idea at the time to keep it looking good.

A couple of months later I took it down to southern Spain and back.
It was very noticeable all the bug splats on the hot bodywork, and they were there for life too, well engrained into the paint finish. I gave it a couple of washes during the trip to remove the bugs and the dust using those spray wands. When I got back and had it washed properly the whole of the front was damaged and the wing mirrors etc. covered in splats. I took it back to the dealer to complain, and their cleaning bloke took it round the back for a while. It was maybe 50% better, but it never really recovered.

Then later that summer the other half went to a garden centre and bought a lot of pots of stuff. As the boot was full of sacks of compost, the plant pots, wrapped in newspaper, ended up on the back seat. Some water must have leaked because the seat was damp. A quick wipe down and it all looked good again until the winter and freezing temperatures overnight. The two of the rear seats now have very noticeable white marks. I suspect that the treatment (G3 Glasscoat) has lifted on whatever leathery stuff Renault put on the seats.

I'm not greatly concerned - I have a new 2012 B Class (W245), with most of the toys, coming in 2 -3 weeks and I will be glad to get rid of that Renault. A total rattle trap...

Meanwhile my warning to you is do NOT apply any coatings of any sort. Use the traditional cleaning and waxing techniques as detailed on other pages of this Forum.

P.

Welcome peter, just thought id mention how nice the new B class is had one the other day whilst mine had breaks fitted, steering is much better than the old one, the thing i didn't like is the display screen looks like it was just stuck there in the middle of no where

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom