How do I love thee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Let me count the ways...

I just want one, contributions welcome

[YOUTUBE]hYIOo-4aptU[/YOUTUBE]

I like it when a car manufacturer sticks its neck on the block with something like this.
I've just read that only 9 will be manufactured and that most will probably end up in storage as collectors items. How sad. :(

While I think it's sad, they don't have (and will not likely ever get) type approval for road use now, so they are just expensive track cars.

Doesn't stop me lusting after one though, that sound...

What. A. Sound.

Just to know that they are on the same planet as me is good enough.

This is the nearest to a modern version I think:

[YOUTUBE HD]4vSFqNqm214[/YOUTUBE HD]

Does it still retain the D type de Dion rear suspension as per the original or does it adopt the later E type IRS setup? One of the major chassis changes for the E type from the XKSS I believe??
p6dedion1.gif

I believe it is an XKSS In every detail (bar a couple of materials used).

Apart from stimulating demand from scarcity, what possible other advantage is there from making more of them when they have the tooling and people to satisfy demand and turn a decent profit. Can't believe the beancounters can't figure this out, but I guess it's also a prestige building exercise.

A similar thing happened with the Lightweight E-Type a couple of years ago.

Regardless of how many original drawings have been dug out of storage and how many "traditional craftsmen" will be required, these cars are merely modern re-creations of something from bygone times and are no more than a marketing exercise.

However, these 21st century Lightweight and XKSS facsimiles are guaranteed to pander to the vanity of rich "collectors" who often know little about cars but are surrounded by experts who tell them what to buy and reassure them that their cars are more rare and more desirable than everyone else's.

They can then put them in a glass case and fetishise them - but never actually drive them as that may damage the "investment potential".

Last edited:
IMHO, the most beautiful road car ever built

Quite agree Sean, just perfection of form. Add in the soundtrack and it is my personal apotheosis of car-dom.

Sorry for sidetracking but what brand's watch is J. Leno wearing at around 19:37?

PS: Can't see the video. Says BORKED. Please post the original link. Or is it about the XKSS?

He wears an iwatch in all the vids of him I've watched.

I believe its a Seiko. He has a watch collection I believe
JEoW8qx.jpg

Links still work for me but try inputting
956 JAGUAR XKSS-JAY LENO'S GARAGE directly into the YouTube SEARCH BOX

Despite how one or two might view me, I'm not much of a materialist.

The XKSS is a notable exception however. I would willingly do a lot of very, very bad (but lucrative, obviously) things to put my hat in the ring for one of those.

Or a real one, for that matter.

And I'm no stranger to Jaguar XK motors, but mine doesn't sound quite like that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom