How do I make my knob tight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossy

Car
Me:-CLS55 AMG & ML280 Edition Wife:-Pug 3008 GT Line Premium
OK bet that got your attention...:eek:

My gear stick knob is slightly lose...it can be moved clockwise and anti ever so slightly..how do you tighten it...

Sorry if this was not what you was expecting...:bannana:

You need a new one, I'm afraid. If it moves counter- and clockwise it is against the design. To remove the knob you loosen the chrome ring and pull it up. Rotating it side to side damages the plastic internals. It is possible that the previous owner(s) tried to remove it by turning, thus inflicting the damage. Had it on my W163 ML - they share the same knob - and I tried to use an electrical tape on the metal rod the knob sits on but eventually ended up with a new one. If you manage to fix it, post it up here for others to see.

Here's a quality knob if you feel spendy, just make sure it is the same colour pattern as your interior: Schätz-Tuning | Shop | Shift Knob, real burl woodchrome, automatic transmission | W208 Cabrio & Coupé | CLK Class

Fixed.....but do not laugh...
Found another post that sugested this and I've tweeked it....
Take the knob off...do this by turning the lower chrome part only ant-clockwise then simply lift off the knob.
I used carpet tape...cut a 2" long (width of tape approx) strip 5mm wide and place the centre of the tape on the strip of the now exposed gear stick shaft front to back and stick it down...
Put your knob back on, reverse of taking off...then I made sure it would come off again. Its now rock solid...may not last but will do for now....and cost nowt!

well if you play with your knob too much whilst driving these things will happen

good fix though. now stop playing with it

Thank goodness a nice cheap fix, I was getting ready to call my friend the doctor when I first saw the post.

Putting carpet tape under your knob...yup good cheap fix will stop it wiggling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom