how do I remove the Light Control Relay W124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joloke

Car
89 Mercedes 230e
Its nearly a month since my w124 moved now and my electrical is starting to do my head in!

Ive started checking everything and now fully understand the circuit
e5000999.gif

I am down to checking a couple of wires with my Multimeter between Pin 12 of the light Control Module and the junction box near the fuse box and fuse 5 to pin 12 LCM
e5000999.gif

Ive opened up the fuse box can see the LCM but it wont budge
e5004229.gif

I need it out to probe the socket it sits in
e5002163.gif

Is there a knack to removing this module?

Getting desperate now,I am determined I am going to learn something from this pain in the ass electrical gremlin and want to do it without a auto sparks getting involved.

Any Ideas how I get the LCM out lid is removed from fuse box i can see it but it will not budge!

You are pulling against the grip of over 30 pins, you need a very strong thumb grip, pulling straight upwards.

1265450132 Light Lamp Control Module Relay Mercedes Benz W126 W124 300SD 560SEL | eBay

$(KGrHqV,!lMFE)37d5v2BROgGN00W!~~60_57.JPG

You may have bad/broken solder joints inside the unit, see opening/repairing a similar type relay here… N10 Relay, Soldering Repair, Wiper - Indicators & Hazards - Rear Window Demister. - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Dec

Thanks Dec

The problem I have is a Charging issue and non of the warning lights showing up to the party :(

The charging circuit goes via this relay but not sure if its just using the pin as a convenient tag?

It was suggested my issies were caused by the OVP but Ive now illiminated this If check every part of the circuit as far as the LCR but need to get it out to check between Pin 12 and the exciter wire to the alternator plus between 12 and the cluster battery light ;)

I am hoping once its out the pins or the socket are numbered?

Next to the LCR theres another Relay It appears to be the N10 I might remove that first so I can get better purchase on the LCR ;)

Thanks

Jodie :)

Last edited:
Dirty fuse/fuse holders have been checked and earth/ground points are clean I suppose?

Dec

Dirty fuse/fuse holders have been checked and earth/ground points are clean I suppose?

Dec

Yup checked all those and now replaced all the fuses with Brass fuses ;)

Currently have the cluster out and I have checked the input to the warning lamps which is pin 8 of the large 15 pin connector but the output pin 9 is connected to pin 12 of the N7 relay which I cant budge at the mo!!

Only really 2 connection left to check and it those I cant get to :wallbash:

Might be that the pins are corroded in to the relay .If the car is not in use ,get a penetrating oil down there .Clean off after you remove the relay .Dont damage it getting it out .You will dislodge all the wires, thats if you go at it like a pig at a potato . There is a fix for water in the relay box .You have to drill on hole in the relay box so water drains out ,if it gets in there .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom