How do I remove the w202 mirror casing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
My drivers side mirror glass is on, but not really 100% I dont think. A sharp slap of the back of the mirror and the glass falls out.

How do I remove the mirror casing so I can clip the glass in properly?

Cheers.

Mirror folded in...

Long flat bladed screwdriver...

There is a visible metal clip which needs considerable pressure in order to dis-engage it - the outer casing will then slide off.

I will post a pic later of one of my 202 mirrors which have been removed from the car, clearly showing the appropriate clip !

S.

Originally posted by sym
Mirror folded in...

Long flat bladed screwdriver...

There is a visible metal clip which needs considerable pressure in order to dis-engage it - the outer casing will then slide off.

I will post a pic later of one of my 202 mirrors which have been removed from the car, clearly showing the appropriate clip !

S.

Is this new information since you tried to show me last or the same duff info you gave me last time??!! :D

didn't have a 'working model' to practice on the last time . . . its your mirrors that were duff m8 ;) :p :p

anyway - I'm just charging my camera up . . . . piccies coming sooon.

S.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Is this new information since you tried to show me last or the same duff info you gave me last time??!! :D
Make sure you don't loose the spring clip! As I recall sym's one made a bid for freedom as he was giving you the technical demo :D

S.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
How do I remove the mirror casing so I can clip the glass in properly?

Cheers.

You could ask my wife to try and reverse the car into your garage, that'll get it off:devil:

OK

I think its this one . . . . bear in mind that my mirrors were power folding so might look a bit different to yours at the back.

mirror.jpg

FYI - 210 mirrors are so much easier to dismantle !!

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by sym

S.

Hmmm thanx for that, I'll keep that in mind:D :D:devil:

Last edited:
Graham

Just had a play around with the mirrors . . that is definitely the clip . . its shown in the open position there. Basically, in the closed position, it pushes back, around a central plastic lug which changes the shape of it slightly and holds the mirror workings behind the plastic retaining lugs on the casing.

So . . to dis-engage it, you need to push back on the clip quite hard with the tip of your screwdriver to either side of the central lug that's holding the clip in place - it will then pop up and around it, releasing the innards.

Good luck !

S.

yeh saw vin take syms off at the gtg. It needs quite a bit of force so dont b scared.. A long but not too thin screwdriver is needed...

Originally posted by sym

S.

It looks exactly like my 210 mirrors and I thought they were the same apart from the mounting onto the door

210 pre-facelift mirrors are the same as 202 mirrors . . in fact, the 202 ones even have a 210 part number.

Assume yours are the pre-facelift ones - with no indicators ?

s.

graham

yep thats the clip, you will see the clip attached to the wedge on the mirror casing!

you have to wedge it out with a long flat screwdriver, sym is desd right !

Originally posted by sym
210 pre-facelift mirrors are the same as 202 mirrors . . in fact, the 202 ones even have a 210 part number.

Assume yours are the pre-facelift ones - with no indicators ?

s.

Yes. I have thought about fitting facelift mirrors but as mine are electric folding, heated and self dipping it's going to cost. I think I'd rather put that cash into a new car or other essential running costs.

Dieselman . . . agree with you.

However with all those features you could probably sell your existing ones for as much as the new ones would cost you!! (From Steve MBenzNL, of course - not from MB)

(you know you want them ;) ;))

S.

Dear Sym,
any chance of posting that photo again? I can't find the metal clip for replacing the damn mirror cover and don't want to break something.
Thanks

mecka said:
Dear Sym,
any chance of posting that photo again? I can't find the metal clip for replacing the damn mirror cover and don't want to break something.
Thanks
Have a look in the 'HOW TO' section.
All information is posted there with pics ;)

Its a bit different for power folding mirrors though ..... will dig out the picture ... bear with me !

mirror.jpg

fixed !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom