How do you change the front sidelight on a W169 A Class?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Diapason, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Diapason

Diapason Member

Car:
    E320 CDI Estate, A170, Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II
    My wife has a 2005 A Class.

I thought I'd buy a set of bulbs so that I could replace them as they failed - just as with my old W124 :)

However, when the first bulb failed - a front sidelight - I really couldn't understand the very terse and poorly illustrated instructions in the user manual; and so, a week later, when the car went in for its MOT they replaced the bulb at cost price.

The other bulb went last week, just before her latest service, so - being lazy - I suggested to her that she ask them to replace it. They quoted her £100 for doing so, including the bulb of course! She was literally staggered, and frankly so was I when she told me. They explained that they'd need to take the headlight assembly out first and that it wasn't an easy job. Being a woman used to negotiation, she managed to get this reduced down to the cost price fairly quickly (she was having a large service done as well), it's left me wondering.

It seems crazy to me that this was a two minute job on my old car, and now on this modern machine it's apparently not easy at all. This cannot be progress!

Has anyone done this job themselves, and could you give me some basic instruction please?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Simon

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  3. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY18 GLC63s
    If i remember right you can get at the light bulb from the wheel arch - no need to take the headlight out.

[edit. actually I may be thinking of the indicator bulb]

R