How do you deal with dust build up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pillow

Car
C216 CL600
Ok, so I last washed the car about 10 days ago. Haven’t driven it since.

There is a very thin layer of dust/sand over the body, unfortunately pretty obvious on black paint, and I’m wondering what the best way of dealing with this is?
I’d rather not drag out the pressure washer and hose and give it another full on wash, so is there some clever thing I should be doing to keep it shining under these circumstances?

Many thanks all.

Now we're asking the real questions!! would be interested to know as i also have a black car...

I feel your pain also owning a black car but unfortunately there isn’t a magic bullet for this. Some might recommend quick detailers and other thing but the honest truth is without giving it a clean there isn’t anyway of getting that dust off without scratching it.

The best advice i could give is have a think about the coating i steered away from sticky wax and turned more towards sealants like wowo’s crystal sealant or fusso coat which does help a at keeping the dust at bay as it doesn’t like to stick to it as much.

Ceramic coating would be the best way to go as it may be a bit easier and quicker to clean.

It’s no different from lighter cars we all have the same problem it’s just dark show the bare truth of it all.

What about a small compressor and airline to blow the dust off? No idea if it would work but just a thought!

A California Duster is good for taking a fair few particles of accumulated debris off but, and quite a big but, it will not tackle the excessive amounts which you seem to be describing.

As inferred to above, washing, or at least a good rinsing, is the preferred method.

My 3 silver cars are covered in the same light brown 'dust' at the moment, quite visible and (obviously) all over the windows. First time this happened around our way (years ago) we were told it was from North Africa, carried on a certain weather system . How true ? who knows 🤷‍♂️

As above really, the only safe way to remove it is via a wash, or if you have a di vessel, you could rinse it off and leave to dry without touching it.

Or a blower, but does all depend on your LSP buddy.

Yep, I'll back up the full wash option especially on a black car. I know there are lots and lots of waterless wash products and quick detailers but I don't feel comfortable wiping over dry paintwork with them after a day let alone ten days, even if the car hasn't moved.

I think the only product I've heard good things about for almost waterless washing is Optimum No Rinse. It's not a waterless wash but uses very very little but is designed for those who don't have access to a water supply. Usually you clean panel by panel using microfibres. Might be worth a look, certainly some thorough testing done on Detailing World.

Otherwise it's full wash or accept the dust sadly.

If the car has been recently cleaned and is now simply dusty, wash it with a hose pipe - no need for the pressure washer (even if the latter is more fun) - then rinse dry.

I recommend finish kare 425 quick detailer for its anti static properties..

If the car has been recently cleaned and is now simply dusty, wash it with a hose pipe - no need for the pressure washer (even if the latter is more fun) - then rinse dry.
That will lead to water spots all over the paintwork

That will lead to water spots all over the paintwork

It shouldn't, if the car has been waxed or otherwise had paint sealant applied, the water will rinse off (as long as it is not washed in the sun). That said, the car can be dried using chamois leather or micro-fibre cloths.

And that is exactly why i would never buy another black cars, at present i have 2 cars 1 white and 1 black, i can wash both on sat afternoon, then go away shopping then maybe collect a take away in the white 1 then sunday morning look at both and the white is still cleaner and the black even though it hasnt even turned a wheel, but black is def the best looking when clean

And that is exactly why i would never buy another black cars, at present i have 2 cars 1 white and 1 black, i can wash both on sat afternoon, then go away shopping then maybe collect a take away in the white 1 then sunday morning look at both and the white is still cleaner and the black even though it hasnt even turned a wheel, but black is def the best looking when clean

I've had several black cars but I'm way past putting the effort in to keep them clean. White is easier and stays much cooler in the summer though silver, unfashionable as it now is, seems the best and looks clean even when it's dirty. My car has done more collecting dust than anything else during lockdown so I bought a cheap lightweight car cover to keep off all the dust I create while I'm working on various things in the garage.

Thanks guys.

The thing is I think a black (or dark) metallic paint looks best when cleaned, polished and waxed.

Car has had a natural rinse last night so will see if that has helped, and the cover suggestion is a very good one; I need to find a high quality outdoor one.

Unfortunately I don’t think finishing products will help in the circumstance I’m facing. My car was waxed at the start of winter and I generously top that up and get all the benefits (very easy to clean crap off etc.) but ultimately if dust wants to settle it does.

Maybe if I drive fast it’ll blow off... 🧐

Having now owned my 320 for nine months, that’s given me time to polish it numerous times with Williams waterless wash and wax. The Island is famous for salt in the air and the Merc is constantly covered in a film of dust. I wouldn’t dream of using it without water, but now for a quick clean, a simple soaking with a hose and a decent large microfibre towel to finish it off .... sorted. Great results for an older lazy g*t like me.

I foam mine and rinse it immediately then Meguiar’s wash n go over it. It’s pretty pain free, takes 15/20 mins and reduces rubbing dust into black paint by a decent margin.

it’ll never be as safe as a wash but, I’ve got to be realistically with 5 black vehicles. I do detail them once every year to rid of any major swirls and marks. I also find it impossible to keep them swirl free. Winter washes are the killer. No matter how hard I try to be safe washing it, I end up with swirls come spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom