How do you get away with spending so much on your p&j...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercy1

Car
It's a car - just a car!
I know that guys on the MB Forum are a pretty affluent lot (otherwise you wouldn't be driving MB!), but how on earth do you guys get away with spending so much dough on your indulgences?
Our household budget luckily stretches to a decent car (and running it) but that's my lot.
Chipping, Harman Kardon, Detailing, leather dash - forget it.
SWMBO would reel off a hundred different ways of spending that sort of money!!
In these tough economic times, I can't believe that others don't have the same issues. You are either very rich, very selfish or very unmarried:dk:
Or perhaps its the reason that you see so many happy drivers of swish cars - with very long-faced ladies in the passenger seat:dk:!

You are either very rich, very selfish or very unmarried:dk:
Or perhaps its the reason that you see so many happy drivers of swish cars - with very long-faced ladies in the passenger seat:dk:!

You got one of the three correct:D:D and the unmarried bit is to marry someone who has mtoring at heart as well:devil::D

Or perhaps they just have different spending priorities to you?

Spending money on luxuries in a recession is not selfish - it contributes to demand at a time when that is in short supply.

Spending money on luxuries in a recession is not selfish - it contributes to demand at a time when that is in short supply.

Yes, I like that one. I think she might just buy it!!?? :dk:

I am now very unmarried...... and hence I look after myself by spending my income on my car. I dont drink, I dont smoke, my only vice is surfing ebay and looking for bits and bobs for my cars and thinking about the next neat mod I could do. When I was married I couldnt justify buying things for my car. Now I am no longer married ----- for one I'm doing the things that my wife (soon to be ex) disapproved of, I am enjoying myself and I think everyday that if she could see what I've done (nothing destructive) hopefully she would choke on it. ;)

My cars are worth probably no more than £1500. I justify the spending in the money I save by not buying a new car but improving what I have.

One of the things I like about owning a MB is how little they can cost for a marque that is great to own, drive and enjoy. Modding can be as simple as making it very shiny!!

I am on probably a third of the income I enjoyed when I bought my 1st MB, but can still afford to run a superb car for not much less than another make. In cost terms, 11 year old CLK vs 5 year old Mondeo. Hmmmmmm, let me see..... :rock:

Last edited:
I know that guys on the MB Forum are a pretty affluent lot (otherwise you wouldn't be driving MB!), but how on earth do you guys get away with spending so much dough on your indulgences?
Our household budget luckily stretches to a decent car (and running it) but that's my lot.
Chipping, Harman Kardon, Detailing, leather dash - forget it.
SWMBO would reel off a hundred different ways of spending that sort of money!!
In these tough economic times, I can't believe that others don't have the same issues. You are either very rich, very selfish or very unmarried:dk:

There is more than one way of affording to run a nice car, none of which are cheap.
I choose not to modify my cars but I do keep what I have in pristine condition. You have a newish rapidly depreciating car......your choice.
I have the same with my SL which I bought new nearly 8yrs.ago......if I were to crystallise the depreciation loss it would be of the order of £60k.
Conversely I have just bought a C140 for £3250 which will suffer negligible depreciation but which I fully expect will cost more in repair and maintenance......the annual aggregate cost, however, regardless of how much I spend on the car will never get anywhere near the annual depreciation cost alone of the SL.
I am married, the SL was/is an indulgence about which I have no regrets, but if you want to keep the cost of motoring down, the only truly effective way is to minimise the depreciation.

Mic

Buying an MB every 5-6 years is less expensive than buying a lesser make and changing it more often.

Spending a bit on improving your current car is almost always cheaper than changing it.

There is more than one way of affording to run a nice car, none of which are cheap.
I choose not to modify my cars but I do keep what I have in pristine condition. You have a newish rapidly depreciating car......your choice.
I have the same with my SL which I bought new nearly 8yrs.ago......if I were to crystallise the depreciation loss it would be of the order of £60k.
Conversely I have just bought a C140 for £3250 which will suffer negligible depreciation but which I fully expect will cost more in repair and maintenance......the annual aggregate cost, however, regardless of how much I spend on the car will never get anywhere near the annual depreciation cost alone of the SL.
I am married, the SL was/is an indulgence about which I have no regrets, but if you want to keep the cost of motoring down, the only truly effective way is to minimise the depreciation.

Seconded. My car is 10 years old nearly and cost £8k when purchased 2nd hand. Is now probably worth £2k but has given me 3 years realtively trouble free motoring and 55 k miles. Hardly going to depreciate much more in reality so seems lie a good deal to me:bannana:
Thinking of doing the same again with a car around 6 years old so most of loss is with AN Other:thumb:

Keep it simple-dont get divorced-very expensive

I'm none of these, but have a very supportive good lady, understanding of what a nice car (and motorcycle) means to me.

For balance, I should add that she doesn't work (apart from the hardest job of all - looking after me, our two boys, and the house).
I wouldn't swap roles with her for all the tea in China.

My dearly beloved, who had me haggle over £150 on her SLK has today, without warning or even a bout of pre-purchase publicity hint of "need/want/need/want" spent almost £3800 on a ring!

We were in the jewellers to collect my Christmas 2010 cufflinks (long story) and she spotted the item. Bugger me - it even fitted her perfectly.

My thoughts of spending some hard earned on a classic old car of some sort begin to crystallise yet more.

how on earth do you guys get away with spending so much dough on your indulgences?
I pay for everything by cash.

No credit cards, no loans, no hire purchase, PCPs and the like. Besides my mortgage, what I have- I own outright.

So when I do splash out, I don't have to worry about paying some bloated credit card bill at the end of the month....

but to the people who own more than 3 mercs are you addicted to buying and always looking to the next project ???????????????

My dearly beloved, who had me haggle over £150 on her SLK has today, without warning or even a bout of pre-purchase publicity hint of "need/want/need/want" spent almost £3800 on a ring!

We were in the jewellers to collect my Christmas 2010 cufflinks (long story) and she spotted the item. Bugger me - it even fitted her perfectly.

My thoughts of spending some hard earned on a classic old car of some sort begin to crystallise yet more.

You have to have a ring to go with the car Palfrem - don't you know that?! :):)

But I haven't even chosen the car yet - is she pyschic do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom