How do you go about sorting rust?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NoahMini

In a pit of rust and whats left of a mini.
Car
Rover Mini 35
That wasn't more a question to each person as I'm sure we each have our own ways but always interesting to hear other people plans of attack, tips and tricks etc.

So my way depends on how bad the damage is, if its some light bubbling then, sand back to bear metal, and apply a rust reverter or preventer something like krust; Etch primer, High Fill primer, primer, paint.

If its worse then, its going to be sand back, cut out the rot with a grinder and a cutting disc, fabricate patch, tac weld in, weld the rest up, clean up welds with a flap disc and then Body filler, and repeat the painting process.

How do you do it? :)

Just take it back to bright shiny metal,loose black spots,and carry on with the process you have described.

How do you do it? :)

I would take my car into a Mercedes dealership, park it up then start looking at viable alternatives.

When the salesman approaches you, as they do, then you ask them for a trade-in value.

They will scoff and state that your car is rusty and worth nothing to them.

You tell them it's all right as they can sort it all out under warranty and walk away. Preferably using a gallon of fuel, 2mm of rubber and leaving lovely tramlines on their forecourt.

That's what I did.

Shame. It was a lovely CLS55 AMG

I would take my car into a Mercedes dealership, park it up then start looking at viable alternatives.

When the salesman approaches you, as they do, then you ask them for a trade-in value.

You tell them it's all right as they can sort it all out under warranty and walk away. Preferably using a gallon of fuel, 2mm of rubber and leaving lovely tramlines on their forecourt.

That's what I did.

Does no-one repair their cars themselves?

I can't go back to a dealership, rover don't exist :p

Back, when my kids were babies (little spare cash) and underseal was a new car optional extra, fibre glass matting was a favourite of mine (once repaired the B post of a mk 3 cortina where it had rotted at the sill). Further down the line and after more than one mot, the car went to the scrapman, although the fibreglass bodge was still looking good.

That's what I did.

Excellent - Added to my things of 'Bored to do on a Saturday Afternoon' :thumb:

Oh and let them waffle on about the 30 year anti corrosion blah blah first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom