How do you open bonnet vertically

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonysmb

Car
MB
I know that it is possible to open the bonnet of a C207 E-coupé to the second position, ie vertically, as I saw mine in the workshop with it open vertically.

I've always been wary of trying it with these 'active' bonnets, or whatever they're called, however, having seen it done whilst being serviced, I thought I'd ask how to do it.

No problem, says the first 'manager', I'll show you. After fiddling around for a few minutes, clearly not being sure what do, the workshop manager was summonsed, had a look at it and advised that it's only done for maintenance purposes, and you have to disconnect the linkage to open it vertically. 'That's what we do'.

Of course, being a main dealer, you can't actually get to speak with the person who actually does the job, which is my preferred option.

I've also been told that it isn't possible. That's clearly not the case, as I've seen it done.

So, there are 2 options:
A) Just continue opening it wider, past the initial stop point.
B) Disconnect the hinge linkage/mechanism.

I'm reluctant to force option A unless I know for definite that that method is the correct one for this model.

Does anybody know the definitive answer and, importantly, has anybody actually done it?

On my 203 and 219 there are two little red buttons on the bonnet struts, quite recessed, that one pushes and lifts the bonnet

As above.

Last edited:
Delete

Last edited:
On mine I just push the forth button on the remote:bannana:

I think you may be right, it would be awkward to have to release both sides?

+ you have to close the bonnet ever so slightly in order to press the buttons.

Mine...a button on each side. On the W210...just one side. Have a look, it should be obvious.

I've had another look; mine doesn't have any red buttons.

However, looking closer, it is possible to 'unclick' the inner bracket on the hinge (one on each side) and pull it off the pin, allowing full extension of the hinge and strut. This extra bracket, when clicked in, which is the normal position, prevents the hinge opening fully to 90 degrees.

This must be what was meant by disconnecting the linkage.

Problem resolved, thanks for inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom