How do you remove the mirror glass without breaking it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
As the title says, i have bought a 2nd hand offside mirror head assembly to replace the light sensing glass in mine, as it has leaked its fluid out.

I have managed to ping up the thin wire clip but cannot work out how to remove glass without breaking it.

Any advice appreciated.

Lynall

As Jay says but if the glass is been there since new you may have to be quite forceful in pulling away at the top, the dimming glass I removed from a mirror unit seemed to have some double sided sticky tape dead centre in middle at the back of the glass.
Just a thought, you have removed the outer mirror cover? As this makes it so so much easier.

You have to unlip the mirror cover first. The unclip the glass. There is a square of double sided tape on the self dimming glasses as well.

ive never seen double sided tape unless someone has stuck it on!

I have seen it 2 of the 3 dimming glasses, the one that did,nt have it was brand new in the box, so the tape may have only be fitted on an assembled mirror.

Got it off then dropped it on the floor:crazy: luckily all still in one bit:)

There was a square of double sided sticky tape fitted and this is what was holding it stuck.

Done this with the mirror cover on so how do i remove the cover to make it easier on the car itself?.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated
Lynall

Fold the mirrors in an then a wire clip will be revealed inside the housing. Slide it sideways and the casing can then be slid backwards over the frame.

No wire clip on mine:confused: its a 2001 facelift which has different mirrors.

Lynall

Hi,
As Dieselman says but there is a thin metal right angle plate with an indent in it, slide it sideways and jiggle the cover loose and slide back over the mirror frame.

Here's a [url="http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=38155&highlight=mirror]mirror thread[/url] I posted a while back complete with pics

Edit: though from your engine size I guess yours is a W210!

Last edited:
Eventually sussed it:) took me ages to find the metal clip:( .

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom