How do YOU, spot the difference...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aero_Bar

Car
Mercedes CLK Class (W209)
One thing has often left me cursing my senses, and that is the issues of a cars noise. Now i say this, as i used a comparison between a Citreon Saxo super modded to heaven :wallbash:, against a Ferrari F430. For example of course.

The question being, when you hear the noise of the car (be it heavy/engine note) and you almost instinctly look, how do you know when you look back, you will NOT be seeing a 'Saxo Boy'.

Id be intrigued to hear your thoughts!

Always assuming I could hear it above my stereo :D

Usually making lots of noise but not approaching v.fast, means it's a racer.

I have never understood why/how a 1000 CC bike usually sounds fantastic but a 1 litre car never does (even with exhaust mods) :dk:

Like said, the quality of the sound. If it sounds farty..it's probably a fart car..if it's growly and racy then it's probably a beast. The F430 has a distinct sound to it..very F1 type/motorcyly when Idle.

My Fav exhaust note from mercs is the S600

There is no finer sound on this earth (imho of course) than a Ducati at full chat, showing you a clean pair of exhausts.

Makes my spine go all tingly.

Did you see Hazel Blears in full leather climb on to the back of one in recent news reports. Who paid for that?

There is no finer sound on this earth (imho of course) than a Ducati at full chat, showing you a clean pair of exhausts.

Makes my spine go all tingly.

The Ducati clutch chatter makes my spine go tingly in the same way that chalk screeching on a blackboard does. :crazy:

Nasty bit of Italian engineering.

I have never understood why/how a 1000 CC bike usually sounds fantastic but a 1 litre car never does (even with exhaust mods) :dk:

I like a large bike that whispers up so you don't hear it. My CX 500, watercooled, is like that. I'm not into 2 stroke 50 cc screamers.

I watched a Pug 106 gunning it off the lights with a baked bean can fart box on the back ....

' Thats making a lot of noise , and not moving very quickly ' i thought :rolleyes:

I love the noise of an AMG V8 personally , that 'woofle' takes some beating ....

Real big engine cars arent loud unless you floor it, where as saxo's can be heard from space when waiting in traffic

I do love the sound of most Beemers, to be honest. Even the straight sixes have a decent bark.

The difference, as many have said, is quality. You can't compare the raucous rasp of a baked bean can exhaust on a tiny engined car to the growl of a decent V8/V10/V12...

I saw a black RS6 estate (the V10 twin turbo monster) in town recently. I didn't really notice it - thought it was a Passat, TBH, until it came out the turning it was waiting at and accelerated away. They sound proper naughty!

Cheers,

Gaz

I saw a beautiful black SLR Roadster waiting at some lights on the A40 a few weeks back.

Opened the window of the car that I was in to catch a listen. Got the full 'spitfire' music as it briefly gunned it when the lights changed - a lovely sound! :cool:

I guess 90% of the time it's easy to spot an 'imposter' of a performance car. Generally speaking you can tell by the sound (most chavved up cars seem to have small engines...). A boomy exhaust does not a performance engine make.

A decent V8 etc is pretty unmistakable IMHO. There's a guy who owns a Tuscan up the road from me, you know when he's coming home, LOL :D

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom