How do you transport your dogs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S65, CLK5.6TT (WIP) & RRS 5.0 SC
Guys,

Long story short, we're getting a beautiful purebred Labrador puppy next week. Lots of new gear, everyone's excited, fun times ahead.

The question to you, experienced dog owners, is what is the best way/gear for transporting a puppy in a CL. I'm talking about taking him to my work place while he is little and cannot be left at home on his own.

I was thinking a pet carrier on a seat cover to begin with?

What carrier is the most pet (and car) friendly out there?

Thanks.

From my experience probably with the last four dogs, as pups only one travelled well - didn't get sick after five minutes. We did try all sorts of seat covers but the good woman reckons old duvet covers were best (without a carrier), good soakage, easy to clean etc & big enough to cover all the rear seat, headrests & rear carpet. No doubt there's better ways but that worked for us.

From my experience probably with the last four dogs, as pups only one travelled well - didn't get sick after five minutes. We did try all sorts of seat covers but the good woman reckons old duvet covers were best (without a carrier), good soakage, easy to clean etc & big enough to cover all the rear seat, headrests & rear carpet. No doubt there's better ways but that worked for us.

Oh, schucks... didn't think of that.

No harness with the duvet though? Might slip on a roundabout.

I'm sure after a couple of trip I will come to a solution of some kind but it would be nice to be prepared.

They are getting sick in the car, too. Got it :thumb:

Buy a cheap Astravan and take him in that, I really don't see it ending well if you take him in the CL (even as comfy as they are!)

No harness with the duvet though? Might slip on a roundabout.

No, no harness with duvets! :D Slippage wasn't issue as the duvet is basically two cotton sheets. In all honesty as very young pups they all just sat down and tended to stay there. Once they were couple of months old they stayed at home. If you do use something like a seat cover and harness have a spare cover handy in a plastic bag and leave in the boot.

They always went in the back in a cage with a blanket and non-squeaky toys. Not only did this protect the dog and the car from each other, but gave the dog it's 'own place' which is an important element in taking dogs, especially puppies, to different places. The cage then becomes the dog's bed at home and when away.
Never ever on the seat, secured or not, and only the passenger foot well when there is no other choice.

Only in the boot..... Had a cage in there when he was younger, but I've given that fight up now.

Do you have another vehicle other than the CL? A 2-door coupe isn't a very practical long-term solution for carrying a large-ish dog like a Lab. As a pup it will chew/pee/vomit etc. As an adult it may still get car-sick and will sometimes be wet/muddy/etc. It will also be 30+ kg weight which will do a lot of damage to itself and possibly other people in the car if you are unfortunate enough to have a crash and it isn't properly restrained.

There are good reasons why estates are a popular choice for dog owners!

There are good reasons why estates are a popular choice for dog owners!

Somebody should tell my parents. They have the naughtiest Retriever in the world. His mission is to run off during a walk find the muddiest puddle in the world, and then roll over in the field.

Despite this they won't have an estate.....

1236042_10201521134805063_2073010929_n_zps8f3c2b1c.jpg

1238129_10200998913389854_851540379_n_zps46df7744.jpg

Parents, eh?!

Active young dogs can get fed up confined in a car for long periods. Often to pass the time they may decide to dismantle the interior of your car. You might be suprised at what they can achieve in a relatively short period of time!:eek:

Active young dogs can get fed up confined in a car for long periods. Often to pass the time they may decide to dismantle the interior of your car. You might be suprised at what they can achieve in a relatively short period of time!:eek:

I agree with this from personal experience. Our cockapoo is fine in his cage in the estate though so no issue for me.

I had a 2003 CL previously and I never took our previous dog in it but I have a friend with a nice Jag XFR saloon and he uses one of those hammock things for his Lab...

Pet Dog Car Rear Back Seat Carrier Cover Mat Blanket Protective Safe Safety Travel Hammock Cushion 0509: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I don't transport my dogs. They transport me…

Tinja-husky-sled-930x523.jpg

My cockapoo started, with good intentions, in the boot of the estate. He managed to escape from the harness, crawl through the luggage net and get into the passenger compartment.! He now sits on my wife's knee in the front when in the merc or next to me in the front passenger seat (harnessed) of the 2cv. as long as he is close to us and can see out he is happy!

Mine used to come to work with me every day. Large van so not a problem with moderate mess on seats or so I thought. First week he was sick every day less than 2 miles into journey. He got used to travelling a bit on the second week but had to be on my lap during the whole journey. The sitting on my lap bit he grew out of at around 9 months old lol and he just used to sit in the middle of the double passenger seat like a king. If I had to pick anyone else up he still wouldn't move and made said passenger squeeze in the best they could. By the time he was a year old I couldn't use the handbrake or the passenger seat belts due to him chewing them. He also ate an entire box of chewing gum along with the box they came in and one November I saw somewhere along side the road that was selling fireworks. I brought half a dozen massive rockets to go with all the other fireworks I'd brought already. Put them in the front with us and made the mistake of stopping for diesel. You guessed it!! On return to the van doggie had ate all 6.

My advice for transporting your dog is........
DONT GET ONE!!!! LOL.

I bet you kept his backside away from naked flames for a while :eek:
Lol he really was a nightmare as a puppy. He chewed through numerous live cables and never learnt his lesson. We had to shut him in our conservatory at night in the end where we had a nice white leather two seater sofa. He ate the whole back off in a single night!!! He was pooing white poo for days lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom