how does my car know the names of tracks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cscurtis

Car
C Class 2012
Hey all, wondering if anyone could help me figure out this mystery!

Recently had a new c220 125 edition with comand, I love the car to bits, and I love the sat nag, but something really confuses me. (it's not a bad confusion don't worry)

When I plug in my iPod into the centre console, it comes up with the track name, artist etc, even album artwork. Ok great,love it. But that really confuses me is that it does this on discs too! How is that so without it being connected to the Internet? I know for sure my car has never been on on the net, as I have an iPhone and it's not compatible.

If you put a cd into your computer or any other car it just says 'track...' so how is that car so damned clever, and come up with the track names and album artwork?

Seriously?

The info is imbedded on the disc. And your car's system is one that can read that info...as other systems can too.

COMAND includes a local copy of the Gracenote cd database, so when you insert a CD it checks against that and displays the artist / track names.

I'm still baffled how you can talk to someone through a lump of plastic and you can hear each other no matter what the distance.

And also how do TV companies know how many people are watching TV at any given time?

I'm sure that there are sane answers to all of these questions and yours, but they still amaze me, the Luddite that I am...

I think most COMAND units can also read CD Text if the CD has it, ie: if the CD or its packaging has this logo:

cddatxt.gif

One of my pet hates is that CDs are still being produced without this, so all I see on my COMAND unit when playing one is "Track 1" etc.

Have you seen the size of a 32gb usb stick nowadays... almost smaller than the size of the actual port.

All that CD info comes up on my home hifi system, Didn't think it was that state of the art.. :D

No. I don't even know what that means :(

The last port I saw was Fishguard, last Sunday. The ferry slotted in nicely.

SPX, will echo what you said to me last year.. Nothing wrong with being a Luddite! Mrs TDE1 asked me yesterday why I don't use the "aux input" in the cars glovebox to play music. Apparently the lad has the required wires to make it work...

I confess - I thought that particular hole was part of the locking mechanism :dk:

The last port I saw was Fishguard, last Sunday. The ferry slotted in nicely.

Ha ha. :D

I'm still baffled how you can talk to someone through a lump of plastic and you can hear each other no matter what the distance.

It's calculators that I can't get my head around. Still don't know how they do the calculations.

Seriously?

The info is imbedded on the disc. And your car's system is one that can read that info...as other systems can too.

I dont understand though.

My BMW dash is always saying 'STOP Requires Service' and I've never heard of a band called STOP, let alone a song called Requires Service!

I dont understand though.

My BMW dash is always saying 'STOP Requires Service' and I've never heard of a band called STOP, let alone a song called Requires Service!

And...probably sounds like a bag of nails, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom