How does the keyless card feature work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samannan

Car
R231 SL63, W166 350ML BlueTech (prev. C126 500 SEC, W202 2000). BMW E46 330ci.
Hi

When I am viewing some cars (namely R230 models)… I am a little embarrassed about how the keyless start/stop and go feature works on these cars

My thoughts are that you keep the “Card” in your pocket and as you walk up to the car, the car unlocks... you enter… put your foot on the brake with the gear in position “P” and press the start/stop button to start the engine. I assume I do not need to enter anything into the key chamber?

When exiting the car… I put the gear into “P”... press the “start/stop” button to stop the engine... I then exit the car and a few steps later… the car automatically locks? Is it that simple?

Can someone please help solve my little embarrassment about how the Keyless-Go feature works?

Thanks
Sham

I think your assumption on how it works is pretty much on the nail

When you approach the car, there is a sensor in the door handle. The car checks that the card is close by (the range is only a couple of meters) and if so, allows the door to unlock and open and you pull the handle.

When you press the button on the dash, again, the car checks the card is nearby and starts.

I have no idea how the steering lock works however.

I wouldnt trust the walking away bit. There is a black button on the extrior of the door handle which you press to lock the car.

Similarly when you approach the car you need to pull the handle to unlock.

thanks for the info.. I'll be sure to check this the next time i view a car :)

I wouldnt trust the walking away bit. There is a black button on the extrior of the door handle which you press to lock the car.

Similarly when you approach the car you need to pull the handle to unlock.

You mean "touch" the handle and it unlocks. At least that's how it works on mine. I think you can adjust some of the features using star diagnostics such as the option of all doors unlocking or just the drivers door. You can also disable the "walk away" feature so you have to lock using black botton on door handle. I only assume this is the case as I had these different options on my cars.
Mel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom