Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He has / had a home in the Isle of Man because that is where is wife comes from.
It just so happens to be a tax haven- ---of course if his main domicile listed with HM Government or his business address for tax purposes is one of his houses on the UK mainland I will willingly withdraw the remark.

It just so happens to be a tax haven- ---of course if his main domicile listed with HM Government or his business address for tax purposes is one of his houses on the UK mainland I will willingly withdraw the remark.

Since you made the accusation surely the onus is on you to back it up or withdraw it.

From Mrs Clarkson re their I.O.M. home....

"Mr Clarkson's wife, Frances Cain, said the family had received unwanted attention from passers-by and put a fence up to protect their privacy".

Well all I can say is you must have known what he was like before you married him, dear. I'm sure we all have a lot of sympathy for you now - especially living in a tax haven with all his money to spend. Hardly any wonder you get unwanted attention - your husband just can't avoid attention seeking, now can he?

There are two reasons why Clarkson has a home on the Isle of Man. Firstly, his wife comes from there, so it's not unreasonable that they'd have a base on the island. And second, the roads are unrestricted, which would be a draw for any petrolhead. His tax affairs are nobody's business but his own and the Inland Revenue's.

Last edited:
His tax affairs are nobody's business but his own and the Inland Revenue's.
If he goes on British National television spouting opinions it not exactly keeping a low profile is it ? Perhaps as an Isle of Man resident if he had been interviewed by Manx Radio that would have been appropriate---- but that would not have sold many DVDs/ Books for Christmas would it. :rolleyes:

Since you made the accusation surely the onus is on you to back it up or withdraw it.
OK I withdraw the assertion he is a tax exile. I merely point out that he owns a £1.2 M house on the Isle of Man-- which is a recognised haven from UK taxation- draw your own conclusions.;)

If he goes on British National television spouting opinions it not exactly keeping a low profile is it ? Perhaps as an Isle of Man resident if he had been interviewed by Manx Radio that would have been appropriate---- but that would not have sold many DVDs/ Books for Christmas would it. :rolleyes:

He's not an IoM resident - he just has a house there. His main residence is in Oxon, though he probably spends just as much time, if not more these days, in London. And he's under contract to the BBC, so why wouldn't they invite him on to a BBC One chat show?

Whether the BBC should be promoting commercial enterprises is another argument, but I don't see the point in singling out Clarkson on that one - everyone's at it, right or wrong.

The thing that made me chortle was the idea that he had a proper job.

Just to round off my contribution to this thread when I implied that Jeremy Clarkson might be a tax exile I was joking right.

"Although the Isle of Man introduced a ‘tax cap’ in 2006 with the aim of encouraging high net worth individuals to bring their entrepreneurial and job-creating skills to the island, a lack of high-specification housing has often been cited as a reason (along with the climate) that wealthy people might be inclined to settle elsewhere.

It may just be a coincidence, but one of the Isle of Man’s most famous home-owners, Jeremy Clarkson, resides while there in a lighthouse."

"That would be the multi millionaire Jeremy Clarkson who is also a resident (tax payer?) in the Isle of Man!"

So IOM famed for it's low taxes happens to be where (multi millionaire - thanks to taxpayers TV tax) JC chooses to be resident.

"Although the Isle of Man introduced a ‘tax cap’ in 2006 with the aim of encouraging high net worth individuals to bring their entrepreneurial and job-creating skills to the island, a lack of high-specification housing has often been cited as a reason (along with the climate) that wealthy people might be inclined to settle elsewhere.

It may just be a coincidence, but one of the Isle of Man’s most famous home-owners, Jeremy Clarkson, resides while there in a lighthouse."

As NM has failed to cite his source for this, I'll do it for him: International Adviser: Plans to build houses to attract wealthy arouse ire on Isle of Man

"That would be the multi millionaire Jeremy Clarkson who is also a resident (tax payer?) in the Isle of Man!"

So IOM famed for it's low taxes happens to be where (multi millionaire - thanks to taxpayers TV tax) JC chooses to be resident.

Once again, he is not resident on the IoM, he own a house there. The rest is mere speculation.

Whether the BBC should be promoting commercial enterprises is another argument, but I don't see the point in singling out Clarkson on that one - everyone's at it, right or wrong.

You've hit the nail there. These shallow programs are just an excuse for various stars and thespians to promote their latest wares. iirc this trend started on the radio a few years ago with the John Dunn Show. He never had anyone on that didn't have something-or-other to promote and I just wonder how much the industry pays the producers of these shows :)mad:) to have their minute of national promo. :ban:

Once again, he is not resident on the IoM, he own a house there. The rest is mere speculation.

So a multi millionaire who happens live in a tax haven where there's a £100k tax cap, doubtless pays tax in the UK at 50%???

You've hit the nail there. These shallow programs are just an excuse for various stars and thespians to promote their latest wares. iirc this trend started on the radio a few years ago with the John Dunn Show. He never had anyone on that didn't have something-or-other to promote and I just wonder how much the industry pays the producers of these shows :)mad:) to have their minute of national promo. :ban:

There's 2 issues:

1 The BBC allowing itself to be used by celebs to flog their wares - see advertising.

2 The question of where the BBC's high earners domicile themselves for tax purposes. Given the vast sums they earn are taxpayers money.

2 The question of where the BBC's high earners domicile themselves for tax purposes. Given the vast sums they earn are taxpayers money.

a) Only part of Clarkson's income comes directly from his BBC contract. The rest is down to freelance work and commercial enterprises.

b) It's licence-payers' money, not tax-payers'. Nobody is forced to buy a TV licence.

Oh, and c) He doesn't live on the bleedin' Isle of Man... :wallbash:

There's 2 issues:

1 The BBC allowing itself to be used by celebs to flog their wares - see advertising.

Why is number 2 an issue?

a) Only part of Clarkson's income comes directly from his BBC contract. The rest is down to freelance work and commercial enterprises.

b) It's licence-payers' money, not tax-payers'. Nobody is forced to buy a TV licence.

Oh, and c) He doesn't live on the bleedin' Isle of Man... :wallbash:

He's got a giant house there:

"The Top Gear presenter claims he has been driven mad by walkers who have destroyed the peace of his hideaway home at a remote beauty spot.
Usually the TV star loves being the centre of attention, but he says celebrity spotters have gone too far by coming up to his luxury house snapping pictures and hurling abuse.

The dispute broke out in 2005 when Clarkson closed a 250 yard stretch of the path on his land and diverted it around his multi-million pound lighthouse

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201907/Jeremy-Clarksons-anger-ramblers-disturb-peace-lighthouse-home.html#ixzz1fMnLShXv"

And any compulsary "charge" is just a tax in disguise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom