Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thank you for helping me prove my point!

Bedder 6 is a British company, responsible for exploiting the Top Gear brand. It was founded by presenter Jeremy Clarkson and executive producer Andy Wilman in October 2006.[1] In November 2007, BBC Worldwide purchased 5001 shares giving them a stake of just over 50% of the business.

(Top left of pic) :thumb:

51RmQ-ROIqL.jpg

He's got a giant house there:

Giant house. :) Well, at 6' 5" he is a giant, kind of...

Look, it's a glorified lighthouse keeper's cottage. See - hardly a mansion, is it. Just a holiday hideaway. His place in Chipping Norton is far more impressive.

490650_580f830f.jpg

And any compulsary "charge" is just a tax in disguise.

You can opt out if you want to. Many have.

Last edited:
Because the little people - the ones who pay TV tax - have to pay tax.

Why should one's vast wealth mean that taxes can be avoided?

So now you're contending that people who are resident overseas for tax purposes (not that Clarkson is) don't need to have a TV licence if they watch BBC channels in the UK? I think TV Licensing would take issue with that.

So now you're contending that people who are resident overseas for tax purposes (not that Clarkson is) don't need to have a TV licence if they watch BBC channels in the UK? I think TV Licensing would take issue with that.

I'm saying that all because someone happens to be very very wealthy, that's not a reason that they should not pay tax.

I also think the TV "Licence" is just a tax in disguise, as even if you don't wish to watch or listen to the BBC's output, you still *have* to pay it.

Why do you think that the rich should not have to pay tax?

Look, it's a glorified lighthouse keeper's cottage. See - hardly a mansion, is it. Just a holiday hideaway. His place in Chipping Norton is far more impressive.

490650_580f830f.jpg

Hardly a cottage by any standard.

Because the little people - the ones who pay TV tax - have to pay tax.

Why should one's vast wealth mean that taxes can be avoided?

So what about all the BBCs foreign correspondants?

They get paid from tax money and give at least some of it to a foreign government. Is that even worse?

JC is most likely contributing more than the average income tax payer, through VAT and fuel duty, cigarette duty etc...

So what about all the BBCs foreign correspondants?

They get paid from tax money and give at least some of it to a foreign government. Is that even worse?

JC is most likely contributing more than the average income tax payer, through VAT and fuel duty, cigarette duty etc...

So basically if you're rich, there's no need to pay tax?

This sure killed off the Levenson Enquiry debate.....

Clarkson doing Murdoch a favour?.....

Let's think Levenson again. Why is everyone obsessed with puerile nonsense such as Clarkson's comments? And financial arrangements? Why is the press in the gutter - staring at the 'stars'?

The worst thing about all this is that QuestionTime last night devoted far too much time to the clarkson issues rather than discussing the actual strike/pension issues themselves. again today, all the talk shows are discussing clarkson rather than these other more important issues.

You seemed to be defending a tax exile??

Initially the point made was JCs view doesn't count as he is not a taxpayer. I was simply pointing out that he most likely pays more tax than the average person. If he goes and buys a Ferrari, the VAT he pays will be more than the average person pays in income tax that year.

You also stated you thought it was a problem that his salary comes from tax, and yet he MAY not be resident in the UK for tax purposes, so I pointed out that most of the BBCs foreign correspondants will be in the same boat, except they will most likely pay tax directly and indirectly to foreign governments. Surely this is even worse, than the antichrist JC himself?

As for tax exile, I have no problem with that, it's not a special law that only applies to Mr Clarkson, anyone can go do it.
Perhaps it suggests the problem is the tax system, it's easy to villify the behaviour, but there must be something driving it?
What about all the people who run companies and take dividends rather than salary?
Is this a major problem too?
Maybe it would be better to take a smaller percentage or a larger amount, but thats not really the topic of discussion here.

It's JC. He says inappropriate things. Get over it.

But I am guessing that MOST of the complaints are from public sector workers encouraged to complain by their unions.

Not because what he say was offensive or out of order but because he was blatantly taking the pi$$ out of the people on strike and there is nothing more dangerous than a union scorned!

If the striking public sector workers don't like it, then get back to work or step aside for those who actually want the jobs and live in the real world. I'm really getting tired of this "nothing to do with us so why should we have to pay" attitude from the public sector. They are as much to blame as anybody else it's just they have more benefits to loose than the rest of us.

The private sector has failed to grow or compete internationally, it churns public monies and whines when its lack of competence leaves it standing in the post industrial landscape like a pram surrounded by teddies.

Pulling down the institutions that attract business from around the world, institutions that are neither corrupt nor failing, the welfare state that makes everybody safe, the health service that allows optimism, the education service that attempts to give everybody the best chance, the police and social services that work to protect the people and the vulnerable from predation, slashing service in the name of an ideological ideal small state because the private sector has failed to protect its staff is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The Tory narrative is typical short term political thinking, we need to value our public service or we will truly regret its passing.

jeremy doesn't seem to understand this, why should he, cocooned in his merc with millions in the bank

Whoever it was that suggested that he 'should be sent back to Donny' in the tags should themselves be taken outside and shot!

He's welcome here about as much as the milk snatcher.

If you look at the whole context of the piece, he was having a crack at the BBC's view on impartial reporting.

Having first said that he thought it was wonderful - roads empty, restaurants empty, reminded him of the '70s and so he felt right at home - he then made a comment that "we have to balance this though, because this is the BBC" before making the "take 'em outside and shoot 'em" comment.

I really hate it when anyone takes comments out of context - journalists are supposed to know better (yeah, right...) but they are the worst. Unfortunately most of the population follow blindly without actually bothering to find out the truth.

Whoever it was that suggested that he 'should be sent back to Donny' in the tags should themselves be taken outside and shot!

He's welcome here about as much as the milk snatcher.

Outrageous! Not even pikeys turn on their own kith and kin... :devil:

Outrageous! Not even pikeys turn on their own kith and kin... :devil:

He's not 'one of us' though, he's 'one of them'....:rolleyes:

He's a strange sort really, his mother is known locally as being proud of where she's from and being a genuinely nice woman, yet he seeks to slag Doncaster off at every opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom