Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Initially the point made was JCs view doesn't count as he is not a taxpayer. I was simply pointing out that he most likely pays more tax than the average person. If he goes and buys a Ferrari, the VAT he pays will be more than the average person pays in income tax that year.

It's not the tax that he pays that's under scrutiny, it's the tax that he MAY be avoiding paying.

You also stated you thought it was a problem that his salary comes from tax, and yet he MAY not be resident in the UK for tax purposes, so I pointed out that most of the BBCs foreign correspondents will be in the same boat, except they will most likely pay tax directly and indirectly to foreign governments. Surely this is even worse, than the antichrist JC himself?

I'm not clear about the relevance of your point. If a BBC foreign correspondent is a UK resident then they will pay UK income tax regardless of their place(s) of work. Or they should do. If they are a citizen of another country they should pay taxes according to the legislative requirements of that country.

As for tax exile, I have no problem with that, it's not a special law that only applies to Mr Clarkson, anyone can go do it.

You would have a problem with it if we all made arrangements to avoid income tax and there was no money for education, healthcare, the police, the armed forces....roads......railways...etc...etc.....

i was listening to BBC Scotland thismorning on my way to work (as i'm 33 going on 73 :rolleyes:) and they were discussing this.

one women caller came on who believed he meant what he said. thats the problem; we are dealing with people who are not open minded enough to see its meant as a joke.

i still dislike JC though.

It's not the tax that he pays that's under scrutiny, it's the tax that he MAY be avoiding paying.

He's not doing anyhting wrong though, and we don't even know that he is avoiding tax, it's all speculation.
If he was not paying tax he has been asked to pay, he would be a criminal, but at the moment, even IF he is Isle of Man based to avoid tax, he is following the rules completely.

I'm not clear about the relevance of your point. If a BBC foreign correspondent is a UK resident then they will pay UK income tax regardless of their place(s) of work. Or they should do. If they are a citizen of another country they should pay taxes according to the legislative requirements of that country..

My point was that NickMercedes said it was a problem that JC is earning his money from a source that collects its money through tax (BBC - TV license) and then is not being resident in the UK mainland to pay tax.

I was simply pointing out that most foreign correspondants would not be UK residents, and not only would they not be paying tax in the UK, they would be giving the money that originated from UK tax payers to foreign governments.
So if what JC is doing is a problem, surely this is an even bigger problem?
Except I don't think it's a bigger problem really, i don't think either scenario is a problem.

You would have a problem with it if we all made arrangements to avoid income tax and there was no money for education, healthcare, the police, the armed forces....roads......railways...etc...etc.....

If we all avoided income tax, we would all have more disposable income, which as long as we spent in this country would be taxed anyway, so I'm sure there would be plenty of money to pay for all these things.

If there wasn't I would up sticks and go elsewhere, as I am fortunate enough to have multiple nationalities (No I don't use this to avoid tax).

He's not doing anyhting wrong though, and we don't even know that he is avoiding tax, it's all speculation.
If he was not paying tax he has been asked to pay, he would be a criminal, but at the moment, even IF he is Isle of Man based to avoid tax, he is following the rules completely).

No one is suggesting that he is a criminal - simply that he MAY be avoiding tax. Even if he isn't doing so, as someone who earns millions each year he should refrain from publically commenting on the working and pension arrangements of some very low-paid people in order to generate cheap publicity.

My point was that NickMercedes said it was a problem that JC is earning his money from a source that collects its money through tax (BBC - TV license) and then is not being resident in the UK mainland to pay tax.

I was simply pointing out that most foreign correspondants would not be UK residents, and not only would they not be paying tax in the UK, they would be giving the money that originated from UK tax payers to foreign governments.
So if what JC is doing is a problem, surely this is an even bigger problem?
Except I don't think it's a bigger problem really, i don't think either scenario is a problem.)

I still don't see your point. Regardless of a person's nationality and the countries in which they work and earn money, they have a tax obligation that shouldn't be avoided.

If we all avoided income tax, we would all have more disposable income, which as long as we spent in this country would be taxed anyway, so I'm sure there would be plenty of money to pay for all these things.

If there wasn't I would up sticks and go elsewhere, as I am fortunate enough to have multiple nationalities (No I don't use this to avoid tax).

Rubbish !!! If we all avoided income tax then no consumer spending frenzy would compensate for the billions in lost revenue ! You would be well advised to go elsewhere since this country would return to the middle-ages !

The private sector has failed to grow or compete internationally, it churns public monies and whines when its lack of competence leaves it standing in the post industrial landscape like a pram surrounded by teddies.

LOL.

This puts the image in my mind of two leeches having a grumpy moan about their respective hosts not providing enough blood.

I really hate it when anyone takes comments out of context - j

I find it rather ironic when a union demands somebody lose their job.

He's not 'one of us' though, he's 'one of them'....:rolleyes:

He's a strange sort really, his mother is known locally as being proud of where she's from and being a genuinely nice woman, yet he seeks to slag Doncaster off at every opportunity.

So maybe he's a black sheep (calm down everybody - that's not racist! :rolleyes:)

But he's still Donnie born and bred, one of your own. How callous of you to reject him out of hand. Surely, with the love of his brethren, he can be reassimilated?

So maybe he's a black sheep (calm down everybody - that's not racist! :rolleyes:)

But he's still Donnie born and bred, one of your own. How callous of you to reject him out of hand. Surely, with the love of his brethren, he can be reassimilated?

I'm sure we could find him a caravan to live in if he was in dire straits.

I'd love to be able to show loyalty and defend him, but I can't and won't.

He'd still be a tit, wherever he came from.

Perhaps a large caravan and a nearly new Transit tippper with "Block Paving - ask driver for details" would help him blend in?

He's a legend:D
Absolutely - always seems to say what I'm thinking. But then I'm one of the private sector contributing to the public sector pensions and trying to pay enough into mine so I would say that wouldn't i.
Frankly a lot of people (especially those who are clearly interested in cars and use car websites) are jealous because who on here can honestly say that they wouldn't like his job!

Rubbish !!! If we all avoided income tax then no consumer spending frenzy would compensate for the billions in lost revenue ! You would be well advised to go elsewhere since this country would return to the middle-ages !

So where would all the money magically disappear to?

Unless people took it abroad, or hoarded it, they would have to spend it and therefore pay tax.

Assuming you are right though, does this mean places like jersey, the Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Switzerland, The Bahamas etc are in the middle ages?

Just a couple of things, in the interest of balance ;)

Public sector workers, as taxpayers, subsidise private sector pensions through the tax relief given on them.

Gordon Brown robbed many private sector pension funds, yet there was no industrial action taken. At least the public sector are trying to do something about the pensions for which they have already paid a lot of money.

When Ken Livingstone asked for a show of hands on whether George Osborne should be hanged there was not a peep from the unions.

Clarkson's wife, a Manx lady, has a house in the Isle of Man. Clarkson lives in Chipping Norton.

Just a couple of things, in the interest of balance ;)

Public sector workers, as taxpayers, subsidise private sector pensions through the tax relief given on them.

Gordon Brown robbed many private sector pension funds, yet there was no industrial action taken. At least the public sector are trying to do something about the pensions for which they have already paid a lot of money.

When Ken Livingstone asked for a show of hands on whether George Osborne should be hanged there was not a peep from the unions.

Clarkson's wife, a Manx lady, has a house in the Isle of Man. Clarkson lives in Chipping Norton.

Public sector workers also get tax relief on their contributions. And, since there are more Public sector workers in pension schemes than private, care to say who is subsidising who. So, are they also subsidising their own pensions? And what about the massive (notional) contribution made to their pensions by their employers?

Last edited:
Gordon Brown robbed many private sector pension funds, yet there was no industrial action taken.

That's more a demonstration of the fact that public sector is the last real bastion for the unions.

At least the public sector are trying to do something about the pensions for which they have already paid a lot of money.

They don't have to face the 'reality check' that large PLCs have been able to put in front of their staff over the last few years - which has basically been that if the pension problem isn't sorted then then the alternatives are worse.

Seems to me we've lost track, whether you like JC or not or think his joke was funny or not is besides the point...It was a joke.
I'm glad I didn't watch question time or I would need a new telly today.
MP's and people in general would be better spending their time debating why we are cutting the police and NHS and fire brigade and schools and the rest, and why we have charities collecting for our own people because our government say we are skint. Then they announce in the next breath we are give billions in aid to people who don't need it and who are not our problem.
Why do we give India X amount when they are richer than us? They have their own space programme that is over a billion a year and they are a nuclear power, seems like they spent the aid we gave them on a new F1 track.
The debate should be why is Cameron not being charged with treason.

It was a JOKE!
People should spend their time complaining about things that matter, some woman wants him charged with inciting hatred...She should get a life or complain about "certain people" who do incite hatred.
What was wrong with the Mexican joke?..Nothing.
Namby pamby PC f***wits ruining the country.

Wow you must have splinters in your ar*e sitting on the fence like that. Please please just come out with it, don't beat about the bush.:D:D

MP's and people in general would be better spending their time debating why we are cutting the police and NHS and fire brigade and schools and the rest

Why do you assume they should not be cut?

There are many good people employed in the public sector but there is still colossal waste, feather bedding, empire building, pooch screwing, lollygagging & piss taking in each & every branch. All public services should be cut a minimum of 20%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom