How far can you tow? Tuggin' consumption!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Happytalk73 said:
Yep, can't say I blame them. Motorway driving is so boring, therefor anything remotely different creates interest. A few years ago my daughter and I took a king sized bed to our local tip. Just for fun we made a mock up scare crow thingy and tied it to the mattress with the ratchet straps. Got the attention we craved and people doing 'double takes' kept us entertained throughout our journey. :bannana: The miserable man at the tip didn't even comment. :rolleyes: Just out of curiousity what exactly is your rig Tim? Ant.
Brill with the scarecrow Ant ! To answer your question the rig is for running our Subaru Diesel aircraft engine on. It has a cage that assembles around the prop and load cells built in to measure torque and thrust. It stays hitched to the car when running so it doesn't run away. The controls are on an umbilical to keep out of the draught! Loads of fun!

It is based on a CS, but I have added the carbon roof and airbox. I never liked the SMG, so this car is a manual. I had a nice picture of it at Spa Francorchamps, but can't find it. You'll have to make do with Rockingham. ;)

http://s237.photobucket.com/user/ga...0E4-521-00000194D2ED259A_zps2ea0902b.jpg.html

That's amazing as my mate had 2 Csl and a gt3 rs and took us spa which was awesome especially through oh rouge. Csl were great with lots of fun. Talking 6 years ago now but very good.

Thanks for the responses guys, I believe the cruise is definately detrimental as 1, you can't 'let it go' down hill and also one would be more sympathetic up hill allowing a few mph loss. Our trailer was tops 700kgs but clearly thwarted by the lack of aerodynamics.I was surprised how it sapped all my cars power though!

Shouldn't make any difference as the engine will hardly be squirting any fuel in whilst off throttle.

Broomel said:
Shouldn't make any difference as the engine will hardly be squirting any fuel in whilst off throttle.

The extra momentum on down hill runs by not backing off completely means you get a run up on the up section and your not going to nail it up the other side to maintain your cruise speed as the control would, but rather let the car lose a bit of speed.

Thanks for the responses guys, I believe the cruise is definately detrimental as 1, you can't 'let it go' down hill and also one would be more sympathetic up hill allowing a few mph loss. Our trailer was tops 700kgs but clearly thwarted by the lack of aerodynamics.I was surprised how it sapped all my cars power though!

I tow a 1400kg caravan behind my B class and get around 30mpg using cruise control. I do turn it off for very steep hills, up and down, keeps the outfit more stable. I don't tow at 60mph, I usually tow at the same speed as the HGV's, save me overtaking them and them overtaking me :D

My L200 is an auto. Normal careful driving achieves about 27mpg. Like Ant, I have a twin axle trailer which weighs 600 - 700kg which I often add 1500 to 2000kg, totaling 2200 to 2700kg, the consumption goes down to approx 22mpg.
I've been towing every day this week so when I re-fuel on Monday I will work it out accurately

hmmm. was busy yesterday cleaning wheels of e-class. SWMBO wanted to go out so she took the L200. Asked her to fill it up, reset the trip computer & note the mileage. Se did everything as asked..............except noting the mileage:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Did nearly 300 miles towing this weekend, up to Derbyshire and back. 20.2 mpg going there (taking it steady) and 17.6 on the run home.

Done another refill.
Towing most of the time, just over half of the time empty trailer (approx 600kg) just under half of the time loaded trailer (approx 2200kg) worked out to 21.7mpg.
So a drop of around 5 - 6 mpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom